Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone out there have a good way to fill the cracks in? I plan to buy a dash cover for my 82 ZX, however I wanted to see if I could fill in the cracks first. I could not find any good information on something to use. Since I planned to paint my interior black anyway, I figured I would try Black RTV, I will let you know how it works. But in the meantime if anyone has a better idea, I would love to hear it.

Scott Milella

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There's No Good Way, But...

To temporarily camouflage the rifts, spread a little Permatex black silicone sealer on with a screw driver tip. By the way, if you paint the plastic in your interior, the paint won't adhere for long. I've seen it tried before with pretty disastrous results.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: There's No Good Way, But...

I'll tell you what, I work at an orthotic and prosthetic place, and we can color silicon anything we want(obviously because everyones skin tone is different). Get some clear silicone and mix it with model paint. You will have to experiment with different amounts of color to match your degree of color fade. This way the color cannot wear off. It will take some more time for the silicone to cure, and even more time to match you color, but well worth the time and money instead of buying a new dash. e-mail me with results, [email protected] I already know my results. Anthony83zx

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: There's No Good Way, But...

That may be how a local body shop soes it. I've seen his restored dash on a 68 Olds conv and it looks like new. It's not cheap looking new either-it just looks like it was made, no evidence of old cracks..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.