ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a L28ET engine I am rebuilding and I am at teh head right now. I am going to take it the machine shop to get it cleaned up and whatever but right now I am taking the valves out and dissasembling the complete head. I am wondering how do I get the oil seals and valve guides out or is this something I would like to leave to the machine shop.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you are talking about the vavle stem oil seals they will come off easy once the valve springs are off. To be honest I would leave all that to the machine shop. Unless you are planning to replace the valves and the springs I would leave them in. It is always good to put a valve right back in the same place it came from. As far as the guides go the only thing the average guy can do is make a mess out of it. Machine shops that specialize in auto head work have the tools and the experience to do it the right way.

I do 99.9% of my own work but I would not touch the guide replacements with a 10 foot pole...................

Charles

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
the oil seals you can take off. the valve guides you would need a punch that fits right and sledgehammer to get it off. they are pain. If you are going to getthe new one install by the machine shop leave it in because they charge the same price for takeing them out and installing the new one or just putting the new ones in. I would take to your machine shop guy and get him to take the guides out and let you take the head home for porting. That's what I did. My guy was real helpful.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yo 2001--

Yo, I did'nt pull my guides, and I knicked a couple with the carbide. Does it matter if they are a bit rounded down on the ends?

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Re: Yo 2001--

No, matter of fact race car shaves their guide down for better flow. Make sure there isn't metal inside of the guide and you should be good. ****, if you beak it, I got one with ported and polished ports and new bronze guide : )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.