ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for all of you guys out there who have taken off the smog pump - what do you do with the hose that leads to it from the engine? Plug it up? Put a filter on it?

The one that goes to the air box is no problem, since I'm planning on ditching that anyway in favor of K&N's.

·
Registered
403 Posts
RE: Removing smog pump, what do I do with this hos

Ahh since you've got a 72 I know this'll work (did it myself) follow that second hose up to the engine and it should attach to the air gallery which ultimately feeds into the exhaust manifold. Where the hose attaches is a gizmo (basically a 1 way valve so exhaust doesn't get into the air pump) that has a threaded connection. Undo it from those threads, and a 1/2" steel pipe cap will thread on nicely (almost like it was meant to be threaded on.) I used teflon tape (probably optional) and then just cranked it on with a pipe wrench. Ran it that way for about 3 years with no problems (also yanked all that other crap like the bcdd and what not and plugged the holes in the balance tube with epoxy) really cleans up the engine and makes getting to things alot easier. Eventually, what you'll probably want to do is remove the whole air gallery from the exhaust manifold. This will require taking off the manifolds most likely. (mine was when I did it) Just take out the flare nuts. (and use lots of penetrant over several days) They will eventually come out. Then just match the thread with bolts (short is best or you'll have to cut the heads off somehow. I used a dremel) I believe it's 14X1.25 thread pitch but I'm not positive. The bolts should ideally be only about 20mm long (the threaded part) If they're longer, you'll have to cut them off so the intake manifold will fit. Also as I neglected to mention earlier, when you take out the air gallery flare nuts, there are tubes that are dropped in there that reach into the exhaust port, you probably want to remove them too. (optional)
But basically that's it

·
Registered
650 Posts
Holy Cow!!!

and to think all i did was cut the hose close to the manifold and stick a big nut in it. =)

·
Registered
403 Posts
RE: Holy Cow!!!

Sadly this is a fine example of a picture being worth a thousand words. (Perhaps I'll take on a bit more Tolkienistic approach next time, you know up the word count half again).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.