ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gonna be removing my smog pump and exhaust manifold and installing headers on my 72, and was wondering if anyone had taken pictures of it. There are lots of hoses, and wanted to see what needs to be plugged, re-attached, etc, before attempting it myself. Does anyone know of a website that has pics of this process? thanks

· Registered
303 Posts
I don't know of a website that has pics of the process, but its not that complicated.

Should plug the outlet from the air box where the smog pump gets its air from.

The air gallery tube and injection nozzles within the exhaust manifold will be taken care of by replacing with aftermarket header.

On the balance tube between both carbs remove the control valve and the servo diaphram. Control valve is on the far left on the balance tube. Servo diaphram is the next round smog device on the balance tube. You will need to either run a hose between the two small nipples on the balance tube or get some bolts and remove the nipples and use the bolts to seal the balance tube.

Need to remove the Anti-Backfire valve which is round and flat and has hoses running from the smog pump and hoses connecting to the balance tube. Will again need to get a bolt to seal the balance tube. Threads on balance tube are believe British Pipe thread which you should be able to find at a hardware store.

Thats it. I would use a Nissan OEM manifold gasket when puttin your new headers on and reinstalling the intake manifold.

If you don't already have a Factory service manual or Haynes manual I would look into getting these. Removing the smog equipment is easy. Getting the old exhaust manifold off and not breaking studs or bolts is the real challenge.

Later,

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.