ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

removing one distributor counter weight for better accelleration?

846 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  blue 
#1 ·
Take the guts out of your distributor, and remove one counter weight, put it back together carefully. Now set your ignition timing so that at full advance, it is about 34 degrees advanced. (At about 3000 RPM) Note where that appears with a timing light at a normnal idle, and mark it for future adjustments. You will need a digital timing light on which you can pre-set your timing advance to accomplish this. Don't over do it though, you'll blow the bloody thing up, 34 Degrees is plenty. If you hear pinging, back it up, or use better fuel.

These changes make a noticable difference in your acceleration.

This is word for word from a site i found today. What do you think?

#2 ·
Re: removing one distributor counter weight for better accellera

Sounds like BS, why would you want to slow down the advance curve? Setting it at 34 degrees total is a good idea (I'm running 35-36 with 10:1 comp) but removing a weight sounds like a dumb idea. What you might want to do is weld up the slots in the upper shaft to limit the amount of mechanical advance so you can run more initial, especially if you have a hot camshaft to help idle/low end power. The last thing you'd want to do is have the advance come in later. Also I'd think removing one of the weights would make the dizzy shaft out of balance and make the bushing wear out faster!

BTW there is no way you'll "blow up" a stock engine, even with 42deg total. It doesn't have enough compression for it to have this problem.

#3 ·

somebody stole a big pile of BS off my back porch last night......now I found it!

#5 ·

But shaving the weights just slows down the advance curve which isn't going to make the car faster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.