ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard from a couple of people that they removed their air cleaner.. just took the darn thing out and put air filters on the engine where the hoses had been.

What affect does this have, other than making a little room under the hood and slightly reducing the load on the engine? Is this even worth the trouble? I'm not even sure my air cleaner is doing anything, it looks like the origional from '72. What do you guys think? This is my everyday car, used for everything from commuting to work to road trips out of state.

-Brian

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would strongly recommend keeping a filter between the outside air and your engine. Your filter may not seem to get that dirty, but it keeps out the fine dust particles that can wear out an engine well before its time. For improved performance I would recommend running some type of hose from the end of your air filter inlet to the large hole in the front grille below it. This will bring in cooler (more dense) air from outside the engine compartment and allow you to still use your hot air (exhaust manifold) tube for quicker engine warmups.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> I would strongly recommend keeping a filter
> between the outside air and your engine.

No, I'm not talking about the air filter, I'm talking about the air cleaner.. that monster at the front of the car with a belt running from it to the engine. I'm not about to take the filter off!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That's the smog pump, part of the emission control system. Here in California, my 72 does not need to be smogged ever again so I yanked it off. Didn't bother a thing. One less belt to worry about. I haven't gotten around to plugging up the hoses and holes yet to make it look good but it hasn't affected anything.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.