ZCar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. Need some help. I am rebuilding a 5 speed trans from a 77 280Z. I want to replace the seal and o-ring on the shift shaft assembly. The shift mechanism is attached to that shaft with a pin riding in an indent in the shaft. How do I remove that pin? I can get the nut off but there is no room to get a tool in there to push that pin out. I found a YouTube video showing an access hole on the side of the tail casing, but I do not have that. Suggestions? This is the last thing to complete rebuild.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
the later close ratio tran had a hole where the reverse lockout was mounted. I think the best approach short of making a custom tool would be to make sure the nut it backed off to protect the threads then rattle it a little with an impact hammer. the vibration should loosen the taper. once it starts it will be easy to push the thread part down and free the pin.
Please don't resort to cutting a hole in the housing (yes I have read of that being considered). If you get that frustrated, walk away from it.

something you may try, use a propane torch to heat up the outside part and then hit the threads with some dust off inverted (the liquid Freon will freeze the threads and maybe shrink it enough to break the bond of the taper). then give it some taps however you can get in there with a long tool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the later close ratio tran had a hole where the reverse lockout was mounted. I think the best approach short of making a custom tool would be to make sure the nut it backed off to protect the threads then rattle it a little with an impact hammer. the vibration should loosen the taper. once it starts it will be easy to push the thread part down and free the pin.
Please don't resort to cutting a hole in the housing (yes I have read of that being considered). If you get that frustrated, walk away from it.

something you may try, use a propane torch to heat up the outside part and then hit the threads with some dust off inverted (the liquid Freon will freeze the threads and maybe shrink it enough to break the bond of the taper). then give it some taps however you can get in there with a long tool.
Thanks Dave. I attempted to make a tool out of a small c clamp but it didnt work out. There isnt room down there to get much leverage on the threaded end. It did cross my mind to make a hole but I got over that quickly. Ive spent a couple hours on this and walk away frequently. Heat is my next attempt. I wonder if I found the other tailpiece, would it slip on this transmission? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
it will come loose you need to support the back side (opposite side of threaded part) with something solid so what little energy you can apply does not just bounce the shaft. think deep socket etc... allowing some place the tapered part to go.
Next reach in with something heavy, like a flat pry bar, something with some mass. short quick smacks (protect treads with nut of course).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it will come loose you need to support the back side (opposite side of threaded part) with something solid so what little energy you can apply does not just bounce the shaft. think deep socket etc... allowing some place the tapered part to go.
Next reach in with something heavy, like a flat pry bar, something with some mass. short quick smacks (protect treads with nut of course).
I will give it a shot using a small socket under the backside of the pin. Great thought. Concern is damaging the aluminum housing when leveraging against the threaded side (nut on of course). There is no room down in that tailpiece to allow smacking with anything. best I can do is pry at it. I will heat the shift part and put on the pressure. Thank You.

I was hoping someone knew of a little tool that fit down there to push out the pin...like a tiny version of a ball joint separator. Makes me mad when engineers design something that cannot be easily serviced.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
rattling it with air impact hammer would be the best bet. zed head also had a good idea about double nutting it, then putting some torque on it. its not going to turn of course but it may be enough stress to loosen. Just don't go ape on it and snap it off, then you will be hating life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts