Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard would it be to remove the ENTIRE interior. for instance :

If I wanted to take this car, remove everything that is light red/pink and replace it with everything grey from a parts car of the same year, is that possible? Can EVERY SINGLE little piece of red be removed and put back on? I would imagine it could, I'd just like to check.

Another thing, do you think years can be interchanged? Like could an 84 2+2 dash and everything fit on an 88 2+2? Would anyone know this?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Not sure about the dash but everything else would be easy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can it be done? absolutely! Is it easy? Absolutely not! I have done as you are suggesting before and to be honest unless you just really hate the red interior, I personally would not tackle the job. It is a long time consuming job and not something a novice should attempt in my opinion but .............

I am 99.9% sure a 88 dash will fit a 84 but I am .1% not sure :)

Bob

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wondering what years swap out with what years? I imagine at least any 87-89 2+2 would swap out perfectly with that 88 2+2 Turbo

·
Registered
662 Posts
Could you live with the dash if everything else was grey/black?

Just one option.

I'm pretty sure you're right about compatibility but do you really want to tackle the dash swap?!?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here is an option. Have the dash dyed black. You could do it yourself but it is a little tricky (and messy!). A good upholstery shop would probably do it for around $100-150. I would gladly pay that before I would do a dash swap.

Bob

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, would you still not do it if you had a 2+2 88 parts car with good interior? The red interior is ugly imo. to have it dyed I'd have to take the dash off to have it dyed anyway. If I were to have it dyed and not have it taken off, then there would be colors in the holes and such. I would replace the carpet as well. I'd be willing to devote 20 + hours to this, and I'm still just considering it as an option. How hard is it to remove the dash completely? I've never messed with dashes to much. How hard can it be though? The 88 dash, console, door pannels, carpet and rear seats should all just swap on directly, correct?

Post Edited (Oct 5, 11:09am)

·
Registered
42 Posts
If a good upholstery shop dyes your dash I assure you that you would never know it has been dyed unless you had seen the car earlier. I have had this done and I could never find any place that gave away that it was once a different color unless I crawled in the floorboard and looked behind the dash - how many peopel do that?!?!?!?

BUT...........if you are dead set on swapping dashes, take the one out of the parts car first so that when you get disgusted it is the parts car that is shot and not your daily driver. R&R of a dash is do-able given enough time but it is a headache - expecially all the wiring,e tc that goes along with it. Like I said, I have restored lots of old cars over the years including several National First Place show winners and have done what you are proposing but let's just say that unless you are filthy rich, you don't have enough money to get me to do another one :)

Bob

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Bah. I can have an interior stripped clean (and all the parts reusable) in 2 to 3 hours. It really is that simple.

Only parts that are not compatible with other years are the 84-85 vs 86-89 door panels. Everything else is exactly the same.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Maybe you can but installing it back and getting it in top notch working order will take more than 2-3 hours. Plus if the person has never done it before it will take a lot longer.

Bob

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
And you're saying it's hard. It isn't hard. It's just a little time consuming. Nothing about it requires any actual thought or great strength. Removing the dash is the most difficult part. And even that can be done in half an hour.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I said it was time consuming for someone who has never done it and depending on the person's mechinical ability it might be difficult. Youa nd I might be able to do it and consider it easy - someone else woudl consider it difficult. It is all relative to the person's experience. Great if you can do it in a half hour - for someone who has never done it I doubt they could get their tools together in that length of time.

Not sure why we are arguing this point anyway - didn't know there was a competition on here as to who could take a dash out quicker!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
> Author: corvairs
> Date: Oct 5, 10:51am
>
> Can it be done? absolutely! Is it easy? Absolutely not! I have
> done as you are suggesting before and to be honest unless you just
> really hate the red interior, I personally would not tackle the job. It is a
> long time consuming job and not something a novice should attempt in
> my opinion but .............

Being easy to me, means no brain power involved. And removing the interior is a no brainer. So to me, it's easy. Time consuming doesn't mean it's hard. Hard would be requiring 3 arms with 2 hands each.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
**** it's easy. I pulled a dash in my 86 in about an hour. Seat pulling is easy, ripping the carpet out is easy, swapping trim panels will be easy. Just gotta find all the parts from the color you want...now headliner might be tough, dunno if its red too.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol. I was just wondering. But if I were to get an 86, EVERYTHING that is red would be able to swap on perfectly to the 86 and vs versa?

It doesn't seem like it would be a hard job. Taking out a dash and everything around it. All those panels have visible screws on them. Thankyou very much AZ.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Go for it

Post pics when done.

Shouldn't be too hard. Only thing I haven't removed is the dash but that is coming out sooner or later also. Everything else is easy.

Just take your time and keep in mind this plastic is getting old and brittle. You will probably need to get fasteners from a junker or your local dealer for the stuff that breaks. Most notably the rear side window trim piece fasteners.

btw- OEM Surplus has new carpets for your car at decent prices if you don't already have it.

http://www.oem-surplus.com/nwp/300zx5.htm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.