ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to check compression in the engine, so I got a compression gauge. To use it, I need to crank the engine, either with an assistant or a remote starter switch. I read the instructions on the manual for the switch, but it doesnt seem to be too terribly specific. Has anyone done this on their car before? Can anyone tell me how to hook up the thing exactly? Sorry for the really newbish question, but I really need to get this done:(
Thanks

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
run a wire from the positive batter terminal to a switch to the lead on the starter solenoid. since you only need to turn the engine over, it doesn't matter if it starts or not.

BE CAREFUL!!!
Connect the starter lead first so you don't short anything.
BE CAREFUL!!!
Keep the car in neutral (or park).
BE CAREFUL!!!
Set the emergency brake.
BE CAREFUL!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you kindly! This will be my project tomorrow. Hopefully the cylinder pressure will come up 120psi per cylinder (or whatever it is). Just to clarify, the "lead" is the positive terminal on the starter, right? I dont want to get shocked and end up having to post (posthumously, maybe) a story of how I got shocked by the car..... Sorry, sometimes the terminology for car terms escapes me since different people use different terms.

That had to be the fastest reply I have ever received since I started using the internet many moons ago....

thanks again!

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Last time I looked, there were two wires on the starter. One is the main positive wire from the battery directly connected to a terminal on the actual starter motor. The other is the smaller 14 gauge wire from the ignition that is connected to the starter solnoid. This is the wire you want to connect to. A 12V signal here tells the starter to start turning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.