ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally time....the clutch died on my VERY worn 1977 engine and I've been thinking of going the ATK route for a replacement. The local Z shop says he can get a reman. engine from Nissan for (I think he said an 82 ZX) $2,200. Online I see ATK engines in the $1,600 range. Any ideas on which way to go. I'd rather spend less if the ATKs have a good reputation. I also see other rebuilders offering Z engines but have never heard of any of them before.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Mike

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I was REAL disappointed with the ATK engines I installed in a couple of peoples cars about 8 years ago. Maybe they have gotten better? The parts they used looked really bad, I had to pull the head off one as it burned a valve in like 1500 miles.

If you can really get a nissan reman, spend the extra money and get one. You KNOW it's good for 200,000 miles plus.

·
Registered
131 Posts
where do you get a nissan remanufactured engine? That motorsport company?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually the z shop guy called a local dealer to get the price on it.......so I assume any dealer could get one.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
A "dealer reman" in what's in my car. We sold one to a customer and about 25,000 later he totaled the car and we ended up with it. Of course I remembered the car and asked the boss for the engine! :)

I'd swear these are new engines looking at them and I think nissan sells them as "reman" to get around the heavy taxes on importing new parts.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
What makes you think you need to drop a new or newly rebuilt motor in? For the prices you are looking at you could have your stocker properly rebuilt the way you want! Around 2K should get you a good set of pistons and rings, bore the block and clean all gasket surfaces, Gasket/seal set, your choice of heads, paint for the block, misc rubbers, cam, headers, etc.

just a thought....

Ray

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was just wondering the comparison in prices--
is it more economical to get a reman engine, or spend money towards rebuild kits including seals, pistons, etc, and engine machining, dipping, honing, headwork, etc...

What is a good source for all the parts so I can compare? Or, how much does a reman engine run?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to redo the engine myself but I just don't have the space or the time....I just wanted something that wasn't TONS expensive and that I could just bolt in with a new clutch and go. I was hoping the ATKs would have a better reputation because they are pretty reasonably priced (about $1600 including shipping). Oh well.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
When you add up ALL the parts, it's a different story. Start including a new camshaft and all new rocker arms, all new timing chain stuff, all new valves and springs etc using real dealer parts and it's not any cheaper to do it yourself if going the stock route. And yes the dealer engine parts are much better than any aftermarket ones I've seen.

Then you have to decide if your time is worth ANYTHING. If the parts cost what this reman costs, all the time spend is a waste. If you haven't owen it from new you have no idea how many times the "core" was overheaded etc as well. Plus the nissan "reman" I got is stock bore etc so I really believe they are new, not rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
why is everybody talking abotu a new engine when the gentleman appeas to need a clutch??

maybe it is a stupid question, unless I missed somehitng.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Read the title of the tread, he's thinking about replacing his worn engine since the clutch also has puked.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah....I just called Motorsport and found out that the engines they sell are ATK engines.......but for $200 more than buying directly from ATK. I guess I ended up sorta answering my own question in that they couldn't be too hideous quality-wise or I doubt Motorsport would continue to handle them.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I always do my own engine for about 1,000.00 total (parts and machining). If the machine shop does the assembly then add another 300 to 400.

I would much rather talk to the guy that is doing the machine work on my engine then to have a Engine Rebuilding Factory crank out the rebuild. I have seen VERY sloppy work at those large factory shops.

You will be much better off finding a local shop that has experience with Z engines.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My local Z shop recommended either the Nissan factory engine @ $2,100 (his first choice) or the ATK at $1,700. He said he would rebuild the one I have but it would cost more and be less bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
let me also add this...

I have a assembly line remanufactured engine in my 260z. The idoits who built it used any old crank and misc rods to put the engine together. Normally this would be ok for a V8 or anything that doesn't have to tack past 5. I get some nasty vibs after 5.5K rpm. The motor is brand new. It was installed less than 500 miles ago under the previous owner.

I just wanted to add to the sloppy work of remanufactured engines.

Nothing beats doing it yourself the way you intend it to be, vs. stock replacment at about the same cost...

Just an opinion

Ray

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.