ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I have a 71z with 81zx motor with the p-79 head, I am using the SU's,and the point type distributor , was the 81zx cars a regular or premium requirements for gas, motor is stock( for now:) ) the timing is also set stock right now. thanks for any input on this, don't mind paying for premium, but if I don't need it for why waste the money ? (need to save some $ for head work on the E 31 head waiting it's turn)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: regular or premium gas ????</b>

hay if it works on Regular run it on it. If it chugs and sputters try premium gas. Also it depends where u get your gas. Like the Gas Chain Flying J sucks for my Z but the little mini mart gas. My car runs like a bat out of ****. So find some thing right.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Listen for pinging (knocking). At any sign strong or regualr detonation or preignition, I would definitely consider going to plus or premium fuel. My current '71 survives on plus, but I do get some light knocking - prefers premium. Orig. manual calls for 96 octane!! Doesn't say whether that is RON or MON or (R+M)/2.

Lestat was on the mark about trying different brands. The different brands will likely have slightly different distallation curves, heat of vaporization and other things that will make them perform differently in your car.

tomh

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Z engine is rather sturdy built if you want to enjoy it to the fullest, in performance and reliability, go for the best.
I know that octanerates are much lower in the american pumps, but I suggest a bottle of "octane booster". Should be able at gasstations.
Here in Sweden unleaded fuels comes with either 95 or 98 octane direct from the pump. (unfortunately, gas is about 4 times higher than in the US)
Can´t have it all, can you?
By the way,curious how the convertion to the ´81 engine works out? Lots of wiring to do I guess?
Good Luck anyway
Marten C 1978 280Z Sweden

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
280Z Manual Calls for 91 Octane

Don't know about 240's or ZX's but the 280z manual call for 91 octane fuel. Regular is 87, mid grade 89, super is 93. I run the super and my advance wide open. OK start, excellent accelleration, good mpg, and no ping or knock.
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: 280Z Manual Calls for 91 Octane

thanks, I imagine that would mean premium for a 81zx motor, curious about mpg, I get(about) 22 in my 240 with the 81 motor in it, seems like it should be better considering how little the car weighs or, maybe it is because of the weight of my foot that determines the mpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.