ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to refresh the look/shine of my intake pipes. Is it safe to sand them with some 400 grit sandpaper to remove the superficial scratches and polish them with aluminum polish? I am assuming so, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
I was gonna say they looked like they were in pretty bad shape, but I didn't have the heart to tell you something under your hood didn't look perfect, because it pretty much is. You should definitely do something to clean them up a little. They look a lot scratchier than I remember.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
You'll need to wet sand 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 and maybe then polish will make it look polished.

Or you could use a palm sander and 220, 320, 400 and then send them to me...if you can stand to be w/o them for a week.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, Z1_ZONLY. I really don't know how I managed to get them looking that way. I guess from bumping and brushing them when I was working under the hood. I'll be a lot more careful from here on out. I suppose removing them when work on the car would be a good start.

Whe you don't have a garage (like I didn't until recently), you try to dismantle as little as possible to get things done.

Mega... I can afford to send them to you. I still have my stock pipes if I need them. Do I need to use the palm sander? I already have 220, 300, and 400 hand-sand paper. Plus, if I use the palm sander Im afraid of damaging the two logo plates on the pipes. I think I would have more control doing it manually. However, I'm a rookie at sanding and polishing so I don't know what's best.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
ZCarr, what kind of intake pipes do you have?

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
Hand-sanding isn't random. A palm sander works much better. Maybe you can get Injen stickers. Otherwise, I don't have a clue as to how to polish and retain the logo.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would this one do the trick? No need to take logo-saving into account.

<http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=149196-38307-KAT150AUL&lpage=none>

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
Yes...GMC is good stuff. And you'll find more uses for it later. But go ahead and look for stickers.

How hot do those pipes get?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not too hot I don't think. The logos that are on them now are two raised plates. I can live without them if I have to. I just though it made them unique. I'm not so worried about the "Injen name being on them. It's on the couplings anyway.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cleaned them off with some soap and water. It's amazing how bad they look now. Damage and imperfections everywhere. It's very unlike me to be so careless. I have no idea how or when I did so much damage to them. It must have been over time. I feel really bad too because they were more or less a gift.

A couple with the flash to pronounce the condition of the scratches.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
tisk tisk tisk..shame on you.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
No biggie.

Go ahead and start sanding, but cover the plates with duct tape. Use the detail sander to get as close as you can, being as careful as possible. Sand them down to 400 and send them to me. I won't guarantee perfection...but it will be hella better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.