ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 280 z hads k&n filter, stage 2 cam, zx head, headers, 2 1/2" piping to super trapp exhaust. does any of this effect my redline would i be able to push it harder becuz i only redline at 6.5. aight thanks in advance

·
Registered
241 Posts
so redline is a factory suggestion with the setup as sold?? I was wondering this myself while reading about race engines hitting 8k. That would sound cool at that rpm. Anyone with a sound file??

Dylan

·
Registered
433 Posts
guys!

wait a sec, dont go pushing your car to the limits just because it makes horsepower up there now! the redline is set at 6.5k rpm because above that, without some valvetrain upgrades your pistons would hit the valves... yes people push stock Z parts pretty far, look at norm with his 7k rpm redline, but I wouldn't go much past 6.5k, unless i was really in the mood to rebuild a motor.

do what you want, but dont say i didnt warn you,
alex

ps, is there no rev limiter on the 280z's? probably not, just wondering...

·
Registered
802 Posts
All that i know is i have a built motor with about 240hp out of a NA L28 and 6600 is as much as ill take it.. Listen to the motors when they get up there its scary they sound super stressed. And the vibration at that rpm is crazy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
No, it doesn't effect redline.

With your mods to your engine, you're just flowing more air through it, letting it rev up quicker and easier, thus more power. But you didn't do anything with the internals, so your stock redline remains. You can bring up the R's as high as you want, but think about the added stress that you are putting on parts that weren't designed to be subjected to that. KABOOM! When you hear that, you will know that you will not be able to go any higher (or go anywhere for that matter). Just play'n, but be safe, keep it within the limits, keep your Z alive.

!M!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Re: guys!

Yeh rev it hard, i wanted to see what my bog stock auto 240Z would rev to so one night i just held it in 1 and she got up to 7800!! Seemed to hit a wall there, i didn't hold it though. Might have gone further. But the 240Z redlines at 7000.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.