ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend was wondering What type of brake fluid would be Recommended for his 1985 300z...any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I'd stick with anything as long as it's DOT. It really doesn't matter what brand as long as it's clean. I remember once someone talking about a ford racing brake fluid you could get at ford dealerships, but I'm not sure about it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
is it just me or does it seem like everyone is contradicting the other? I personally would stick with any name brand that is trusted (i.e. penzoil)

domdogg123 is probably the person to listen to here though. Might think about taking 1SikZ's advice also. I could imagine the plastic absorbing something.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
meh....I dunno about the plastic being absorbed by the brake fluid, but brake fluid is corrosive so it could be possible.I've only ever seen plastic bottles of brake fluid, even DOT-5 stuff.

I think the reason people don't use DOT-5 in normal Daily drivers is because it's more expensive and it gets dirty easier.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I was interested to know the difference myself so I checked it out and found this:

"The DOT 2 spec is for drum brakes and is obsolete. If you have any DOT 2 in your garage, throw it away! DOT 5 is for silicone brake fluid. Silicone brake fluid (DOT 5) should be avoided because it is not compatible with regular brake fluid, it is hard to pour without introducing bubbles and thus results in soft pedal feel, and moisture still gets into your system and will pool in low areas like your calipers and encourage rapid corrosion. STAY AWAY!"

http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
How many people here recommending DOT5 actually use it themselves? Or even know someone who uses it?
While the original question did not mention competition, in all the vehicles I have had on circuits DOT4 was quite adequate and easily available.

·
Registered
559 Posts
when i went to second creak i bled out the system and replaced it with dot5...of course i may not have needed it but, as i said, "you can go dot5 if you circuit race/autocross...its nearly the same as dot3 it just has a higher boiling temperature for harsher braking conditions" ...yes it is a silicone based brake fluid, meaning it is hydroscopic...for those who never made it through chemistry, this means that it absorbs moisture in the air...which may be possible over time, but if it is track car go dot 5...yet the fact that he/she/you need to ask what type of fluid to use my best guess is that you dont need to worry about go fast fluids

just use dot3, pennzoil is the old reliable

·
Registered
548 Posts
Castrol DOT3.. Back in the late 70's before I started thinking and lost my nerve I raced motorcycles. (Suzuki 750 GT, 550 Ducati) I never had a heat problem. Back then it came in a metal can.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
What brand of silicone brake fluid is *hygroscopic*? Note the spelling for those who never made it through chenistry.
Everything you would find published about silicone brake fluid says that it is _not_ hygroscopic. This is one of the things that makes it not "nearly the same as dot 3". Compressibility is another.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.