ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '83 280ZXT is leaking at the exhaust manifold and head. I think it's just one gasket for both intake and exhaust, right? What do you all recommend I use, something from the local auto parts store, or something better?

I don't know what options I have as far as materials and reliability goes.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I use the intake gasket off a 71 240Z. You have to match port the intake totally but the exhaust ports have a nice steel shim. I sell them for about $18.00 + shipping.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont want something that requires modification, but thanks. Can you or anyone else recommend something that is plug-in and go?

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I've done a couple of these on L-28 engines (more if you count L-18 and L-20B engines) and I dont' see much difference between an expensive Fel Pro or cheap Napa brand. So I'd go with a cheapo. Be aware that a main reason these fail is (on the Datsun L-6s), the rear manifold stud breaks off or the nuts loosen. So be sure to clean the mating surfaces up real good when you do this job, and tighten the nuts to specs — then check torque again in a few hundred miles after the gasket settles in a bit.

BTW, this is a bitch to do in the car as the intake/exhaust assembly is so heavy and you have to lean over far to get it in or out. Your back will thank you if you can manage it with a cherry picker or chain hoist.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I don't have a problem with Felpro, just be sure whichever one you decide on you mount it with the correct side to the ex manifold.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
My opinion is, this job is a major PITA so why try to save what maybe $5 using an aftermarket gasket?

·
Registered
310 Posts
My previous gasket was a felpro and it sucked @$$. I had even had the exhaust manifold surfaced to be sure it was level before installing my rebuilt head. It lasted about four months before most of the exhaust side started leaking.
Many of the guys on another forum recommended the dealer stock gasket and I installed one a few days ago. It was thicker than the felpro and made of some type of graphite impregnated metal material. It only cost about $20 from Courtesy Nissan in Texas. It seems that most of the zx's I've tinkered with over the years still had stock gaskets even in the salvage yards. If it lasted that long, it must be OK. Either that or no-one wanted to do the pain in the @$$ job of changing it, ha, ha!
In my opinion the stock gasket seemed to be excellent quality.

81zxturbo(labotamized with 300zx ecu and other stuff!)
95slobaru

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
The stock gasket won't blow out unless the studs break, can't say that for most of the aftermarket ones. I only get paid to do it once, I'm not interested in redoing stuff for free..

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
goi with the stock Nissan gasket. The Felpro gasket will leak after a very short time.
Nissan makes the best gasket for that application.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.