ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 280zx I purchased needs a new clutch and a new shifter bushing, I would like to put a performance clutch in and a short throw shifter, however I still relatively new to the car scene and especially the Zs, if anyone has advise on what parts to get it would be greatly appreciated. Money is a non issue, I don’t mind saving money to not skimp on parts

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,482 Posts
You don't need a performance clutch if the engine is stock and will stay that way. But it won't hurt anything to get one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't need a performance clutch if the engine is stock and will stay that way. But it won't hurt anything to get one.
I plan on turboing the car, after I go through getting forged internals replacing the ecu, and various other things to get it ready for said turbo

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
For now you should install an Exedy clutch kit. They can handle some abuse for now. I should have the shift bushings in stock that you need for an 82, they're different than the earlier ones. They already have a shorter shifter in the car. I can always shorten them a little more if you want a faster shift. The short throw shifters aren't all they're cracked up to be. What you're planning on doing is something you should probably think it through a little more. For now I'd suggest getting a megasquirt fuel management system and install that. It can be set up for your existing engine and it won't take much to change it over to a turbo engine once you get to make that change. You should probably change over to a Borg Warner 5 speed or else a Z32 trans., or a 350 trans to withstand the torture from the turbo engine. Your existing trans won't take high hp for very long. Once you change the trans it will take a different clutch kit anyway. Z man of Washington

1 - 5 of 5 Posts