ZCar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My car is leaking like many of ours (especially getting exhaust into the cabin via the rear window seal) and decided its time to redo the weatherstripping.

I've done some research on this forum but the most recent post I found was from 2014 so I wanted to check in and see if there are any new recommendations. It seems the MSA version is garbage and doesnt let the doors close and has a windshield seal that doesnt work well.

It also seems folks are using kia sportage weatherstripping around the doors, but i cant find much info on it. My main concern is the window seals.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
you will also need to check your taillight seals. They can make a big difference.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The fume problem is common and needs more than just a new hatch seal to solve it. As ghosttanker noted, there are seals around the tail lights. Years ago, after trying one thing at a time with varying degrees of success, I went crazy one weekend and tracked down every possible hole or area of ingress I could find - or even suspect - for tailpipe fumes. Sorry to say, there are many. Besides the taillight seals, there are several holes for various things under the back panel (which frames the taillights). There are also holes in the inner panels behind the rear wheels. I'm of the opinion that fumes can get past the 'Datsun' emblem on the rear hatch, so I sealed that, as well as sealed that small vinyl-covered panel on the inside bottom of the rear hatch. fumes can get past the hinges for the hatch, too. I'm sure there are a few Im forgetting about. You will need to take off the inner trim panels to see and get at most these places, which is a pain. But it's worth it if you want to defeat the fume demon once and for all. Well, at least for a while. When I got done, there were no more fumes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts