ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well obviously you can tell what this post is gonna be about! I need some pointers on how to rebuild my engine on my 81 280ZX n/a. Where should I start how long should I expect this to take, will it cost alot, what can be done to increase the hp if possibel while doing this, what will increase the performance, and so on. Also if anyone here has some really good body work tips email me and I'll send you the pics of my car, I really need some advice on how to go about fixing up my first Z car. This is my first time doing any of this so "easy" car terms would be great!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
225 Posts
i cant speak for everyone but i own a 79' 280zx and an 83' 280zx i recently rebuilt
the engine in the 83 and it cost alot took a long time and give me a bunch of sh*t.
if you are going to rebuild a 280 engine be ready for alot of headaches.
hope this gives you some insight to what of what is instore.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am also in the same boat. I have an 83 n/a that I am going to convert to a turbo. I have the turbo motor and just tore it to the bone this past weekend. I plan to take the block in this week or next to have it checked.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what pistons to use. should I have the block bored? How much?

Keep me posted on your rebuilds. I am in Huntsville, Alabama where are you.

Rob

·
Registered
968 Posts
Re: http://members.home.com/mylesm/rebuild.html

I've just completed my rebuild last week and waiting to put the motor back into my project car. It's not all that bad. Find a good open space to lay everything you removed off the engine and label them. Put every nuts and bolts back after you remove the parts if you can . Otherwise get ziploc bags and put them in and label them. Take your time don't rush.. Clean everything up and possibly paint the parts before putting it back on. Good luck
Vinh
Ps. read and read and read the manual tons of times.. and go back if read some more if indoubt..

·
Registered
567 Posts
How much money do you have to spend on the engine?
On the rest of the car?

Sometimes way more fun can be had by spending money outside the engine compartment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.