ZCar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've researched this as much as possible and believe I've found the best kit for the job. Here's the description:

New bearing and seal rebuild kit for 5-Speed manual transmission with synchornizers. Will fit Datsun 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX 1973-83. Includes: 6-bearings, 2-seals, 1-needle bearing, 1-gasket, 4-synchros and 1 5th gear synchro. Bearings are made in Japan.

Is this missing anything? Is this even the kit to go with? Better options?

Seems odd this one kit covers all the way back to the 240z.

Thanks so much.
Body jewelry Font Earrings Rectangle Necklace

·
Registered
1982 280ZX
32 Posts
Looks like the kit I just bought. Any chance the part number on the kit is ZMBK104WS? Seems like various sellers are selling the same (or similar) kits using that part number. I've been told by a guy who's rebuilt a few that it's the right kit.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,780 Posts
I don't know the tranny sequencing in the L6 Z-cars, but I know the early ones were four speeds, not 5. Perhaps the extra sync ring is simply not used in a 4-speed??

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't see that stock number anywhere on the sales page I found, but using your number I've found another identical looking kit, same bearing brand and all. I think you just saved me about $60USD my friend!

Thank you.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I'm thinking Pilgrim. I bought an '83 non turbo 5-speed to put in my 260z and wanted to have a rebuild kit on hand before I put it in.

·
Registered
1982 280ZX
32 Posts
Don't see that stock number anywhere on the sales page I found, but using your number I've found another identical looking kit, same bearing brand and all. I think you just saved me about $60USD my friend!

Thank you.
I was scratching my head over this for a couple weeks myself. Seems like almost all the online suppliers, even the really big names, are selling kits made by one company (if appearances can be trusted). I bought mine from the big cheap Minnesota company, first time I've bought anything from them because I've always been worried about cross border charges. Should be here tomorrow so fingers crossed it's right.
I plan on posting about my rebuild in the hope it'll help someone in the future. Really glad if my research helped you out too. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The one in the pic you posted is the kit for the 81-83 5 speed with the reverse lockout. The early 5 speed (from 77-80) doesn't use that style 5th gear syncro. The bearings, seals, front gasket and main bearings are the same between the 2 kits. I sell 2 different kits for the 5 speeds and I include the o-ring and seal for the speedo pinion as well as the stake nut for the counter shaft. For the reverse lockout style I also include the stake nut for the main shaft. The stake nut for the early 5 speed main shaft isn't available. The early kit sells for less than the later kit because of the stake nuts. I also sell a specific kit for the 4 speed and it sells for less than either 5 speed kit. The 4 speed stake nut isn't available anymore. Z man of Washington

Reactions: Route66
1 - 7 of 7 Posts