ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- I am going to work this morning and while at the traffic light I hear my engine knocking-sounded likt the rods. I pull over and there is no oil in the block! I check the oil Friday nite and it was at the 3/4 full point of the dip stick. Saturday I hooked a long piece of vac line to the front of the plenum to clean some stuff out of the engine using seafoam. It smoked like **** but the car ran good after this was done, not sure if it helped or not. Right now I am thinking "rebuild"-how much (on average) should I expect to pay for rebuild. I am in Winston Salem NC. This car is starting to bug the heck out of me.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
You are supposed to do an oil change after using seafoam, you aren't supposed to run the car for days back and forth to work. Do an oil change right away and see how the car is after that. Also when draining the oil look for large pieces of metal or large metal shavings. If you see some then there was some damage done. If the knocking still contiues go have a compression check done on the engine. That will tell you if you are looking at a rebuild or not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also, cut open your oil filter, using either a cheap canopener or the special tool made for it (looks like a giant tubing cutter) from Aircraft Spruce.

If you use the can opener, DON'T put it back into food service.

After the steel filter is open, cut the filter element away from the core and unfold it. Go over it with a magnifying glass. Small pieces of black crud are normal, but anything that looks like metal sawdust is bad. Cam lobes tend to be long "rice grains," babbit (bearings) is round and fairly soft.

I do this every oil change on an airplane, but maybe once every couple years on a car (unless there's some problems, like you've had)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.