ZCar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing a 72 240z with a 3.2L stroker Motor.

Specs:
Rebello Racing 3.2L stroker motor with approximately 300hp. Scarab customized body. SCCA racing suspension with Tokico adjustable coilovers. New clutch, lightened flywheel, rebuilt 5 speed, all new bushings and mounts, 3”exhaust w/ Lobak race muffler, new heavy duty radiator, new brake hoses etc… 245/45/16 Centerline. 280Z hood. 2250 lbs.

Any thoughts on this setup?

Whats been your experience with the 3.2L Rebello motor?

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
For that price how can you pass it up?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a newb also, never owned a datsun/nissan. I never really cared too either, but if your debating on buying that car it's not meant for you! ( prior to purchasing my own datsun, I did a bit of research night and day for 2 sleepless weeks. It consumed me. I read rebuild and build guides, restoration guides, parts catalogs, engine builds and combos, suspension mods, etc. etc. Before I even bought my Z. Getting one to suit seemed to be the pressing issue. However, I had a clear vision of what I wanted and the direction it would be built towards ). If I was in your shoes, 72 240z w/ Rebello Racing 3.2L .... is all he would have needed to say; before he finished that description, "I'll take it!" Would have flew out of my mouth!

so simply put, BUY IT!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. There seem to be so many options out there for Z cars that it takes quite a bit of research to become familiar with all of the possible mods.

Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
unless you are planning to use it for track racing, you may not like it for daily driving. Dave @ Rebello Racing builds racing applications. you might want to consider that before you take the plunge. how much is the car going for? you didn't mention the asking price for it.

the number one thing you need to know first is what you are wanting to use the car for. then go from there, my friend.

Bon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's asking 13k for his Z.

Not looking for a daily driver. I plan on taking it to some lapping days and weekend cruises through the hills. I have not driven it yet but I suspect it will be somewhat stiff and not very quiet....

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
495 Posts
Perfect application. That would be the definition of my, "...if I had the garage space, the time, wouldn't piss off my wife", kind of car. Sounds like a great opportunity. Do it. Report back

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
lop-lop-lop-lop-blop-blop-lop-blah-lop-blop...... yeah, it will sound a bit loppy with the stroker setup and a header :grin "beep, click, turn, ignition!... blop-blop-lop-lop-blop-lop-lop-blop!"
i had a pacesetter header on my Rebello setup before. though it sounded pretty cool, it got to be loud and a bit annoying on lengthy drives.

this car sounds more like a show car than a race car. why don't you go take a look at and give it a test drive. if it fits the bill AND your wallet. by all means get it.

Bon

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
There is no such thing as a "SCCA Racing Suspension." Tokico shocks are street shocks and only used by racers on a tight budget. I would ask to see ALL the receipts and the build sheet for the engine before I would believe its 3.2L or has been built by Dave.

And rust is the most important thing to look for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I'm taking a look at it tomorrow. He sent me the receipts and it shows the work was done @ Dando's in Fremont Ca with Engine from Rebello Racing. Does show 3.2L motor in parts list. I'll definitely go through the build sheet and make sure everything is kosher.

Does anyone have experience with Dando's in Ca?

Do you see the Rebello motors holding up well? Also, If I take it to a local performance shop is it easy for them to work in it?

Thanks in advance.

AM

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Obviously the sarcasm in my original post was missed. This is a complete face palm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a rebello 3.2 with ITBs (fuel injection) - absolutely wonderful engine. It is my 2nd rebello 3.2. The first one was a single (stock) plenum 3.2, tuned for street gas. The latest is a higher CR, with 279 cam. Smooth, powerful, good stable idle, no issues with startup cold/hot. Makes 275whp on my 280zx. Sounds great, not too load. It all depends how you set it up. The only things I wish I could improve was fuel economy, and fuel smell when cold - but that's the price you pay for a screamer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts