ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I still haven't bought me a new car yet, but I just wanted to know, what would your reasons be for getting a z31 ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rare ;) Everytime you see another old school Z owner you honk and grin like an idiot (like I did last night!)

Everyone asks you what car you have because theyve never seen one in their lives ;)

etc...

·
Registered
42 Posts
lol although i dont know about cheap to maintain red (thinks of all the honda ricemobiles he could have bought with the money spent on the Z...) !

Post Edited (Jun 23, 10:15pm)

·
Registered
42 Posts
lol although i dont know about cheap to maintain red (thinks of all the honda ricemobiles he could have bought with the money spent on the Z...) !

·
Registered
161 Posts
1 wemon love them , 2 there sweet looking and 3 like he said there fast

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Own one becuase you love them, simple as that. If you want something fast there are plenty of others cars that are fast. Also while the 300zx turbo is a fast car still by todays standards the non turbo 300zx is slow by todays standards. While they are unique in style they are still pretty common place and don't get many looks other than it just being a nice car. I get looks everytime I drive my 280z becuase they aren't seen as much, especially fixed up. While in my 300zx I don't get any looks. While people I know like my 300zx and think it looks good it's still too common place of a car but complete stangers get whiplash trying to look at my 280z. It's said the Z31 is the forgotten stepchild of the Z line up and in some ways thats true. Most people who own Z31's do it becuase they truely love the Z31 styling, everything else is just an added plus. Like domdogg said they are under rated becuase while everyone sees them on the road they know nothing of them. I guess part of it depens on where you live, I'm sure there are some places where Z31's are rare but here in california they are everywhere.

·
Registered
304 Posts
in south carolina they arent rare yet still uncommon. i see 5 or so a month including my own and my friends 88.

i love z31 because they are sleek and simple. also i turn heads (ok its few and far between but it happens). i love the sound and the ride. the way it squats in the rear when you hit the gas. driving it is 70 millions times better than driving the 1990 buick century i had before it. all in all its just a fun little scootie car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
To all who have posted replys to this message; The reason..... It's a Nissan Z!!! I have a blue 1974 260Z and a white 89' 300ZX 2+2. In my home town of Eufaula Alabama, there are several Z31 around but I have to say ( patting my back) I am the only guy with a 260Z. Most people don't even know Datsun made the 260Z. They know of the 240Z and the 280Z and 280ZX. We all love our Z cars for some reason or another. My 260Z is factory 160mph. I have had it up to 127mph.......real fun!!!

TheMetalGod
74' 260Z
89' 300ZX 2+2

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I dont think the top speed of the 260 was 160mph. in fact I know that for a fact. the Z31 was the fastest Z up to that point and it only go to 157mph or something.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
LOL, the 260z will top out at about 120-125mph. Those who are familiar with the 70-83 Z know that the speedo on these old Z's are notorious for being inaccurate. There have been people who claim to hit 150mph with a stock 70-78 Z but it's just not possible. The old Z's have a drag co. of like .45 which is horrible. It's possible for a modified S30 to 130mph but it takes a few mods, a tight suspension, and an air **** doesn't hurt. Personaly I've had my 280z up to 130mph but after you hit 120mph you feel the car hit this wall and it takes forever for it to climb past 120mph. As you can see from my sig my 280z is not stock yet not that modified. It will hit 110 pretty **** fast, faster than my 300zx, but then you can feel the power of the car trail off due to the poor areo of the car. Even S30's that are capable of running 13's or faster have a hard time going past 130mph. The trick is not more power but better areo. TonyD over on the other forum is part of a team that does land speed record type racing. He broke the record sever times for his class and probably for any 70-78 Z. The 260z 2+2 they use was able to hit 160mph but that car has something like 300hp and has extensive work done to make the areo better. It's funny, I could kick the crap out of my friends 85 300zx Z in the 1/4 mile or just about any type of race, but when it came to high speeds I just couldn't compete. We would go 0-100+ sometimes where I would be several cars ahead but by 110-115 I stopped pulling and he started gaining. Usually by the time I hit 120-130mph he was right next to me or slightly ahead. It used to really bug him because his 300zx was more modified than mine but mine had a curb weight a whole lot less.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I had 5 280 ZXts and now 2 300 ZX na's. I opted for the 300 because it has a few more "creature comforts" than the 280 ZX. I still love the 280s, but am enjoying the heck out of the 300.

And here in my part of Iowa at least, there are few z31s around. I know of only two others for sure in town. I get looks all the time driving mine... especially on these warm summer days with the tops out.

Yeah, I've got the 2+2 NA, so it's big and slow. But Themetalgod hit it right on the head: IT'S STILL A Z!

Roger

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
One bonus:

The z31 is not as well known - sometimes people think it's an exotic car. 88hybrid mentioned someone asking him if his 88z was a Ferrari...

The z31's are fast, have GREAT power potential, and are very comfortable and affordable. You'll fall in love with the personality and I find that few who buy a z31 will turn around and sell a z31!

·
Registered
95 Posts
my 85 zxt is black primered with the ureflex bodykit, i love the look, and aparently so do alot of other people i get an average of about 2 "nice car man, or cool car" comments a week and its all primer lol. it just looks fast and my 3 inch strait pipe exhaust helps it sound awsome. the thing i like the most though are the kids. it always brings a smile to my face to see the lil boys point my car out to their dads or when they tell me how much they like it. i never can pass up that oportunity, when i see the kids grin i hit the gas to let them hear that vg30et roar and see the smiles grow 10x. plus i love the drive and the fact that i whoop up on all my lil extensivly moded honda friends. the only thing i dont like about my car is i actually get into arguments with people because they try to tell me i have an inline six. half the time i have to show them my engine too many people call my car a 280zx and it really bothers me cause although i respect the heritage i really dont like the 280s 240s and 260s. i do agree the z31 is the forgotten z car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My Black 89 NA still turns some heads.

I have had several folks ask...What kind of car is that? Which kinda surprised me.

No mods...the car is stock to the bone. 84-89's are getting fewer and far between.

My 89 like my previous 81 Turbo is inexpensive to maintain for a sportscar. If one does routine maintenance the car is as reliable as an anvil.

I use it as an everyday driver here in Ohio.

·
Registered
23 Posts
To everyone .......I just wanted to explain my comments. I wasn't saying my 260Z could do the 160mph but it indeed is registered that high on the speedo. I should tell more about my car....I have a 2.8ltr. inline six out of a 83' 280ZX that I scraped the fuel injection on. I'm running a Cliffort 4bbl. intake with a Holley 600CFM 4BBL. I also have a 5spd out of a 81' ZX with a urethane front air dam from MotorSport, part #50-1412 and a "BRE" style deck lid spoiler, part #50-1527. The only thing else I am missing is the headlight covers to complete the areo style. I did reach the 127mph as I said earlier. Thank you for the replys.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
heh, just becuase it says that high on the speedo doesnt mean the car can go that fast.

anyway, I got my Z becuase I saw a few growing up and fell in love with them. when I see something I really like I usually work at it over a long period of time to get it. 5 years later I had my first Z

·
Registered
214 Posts
The most comfortable sports car I have owned. I drive 100 miles a day in it, and love the creature comforts it provides on that long ride. It is not the fastest car, mine is a 2+2 na, but it goes when I need it to. I drove a 91 na and it was not as comfortable as my 86 na.

And, I only paid $2100 for it. I have over $3000.00 in parts and labor this past year replacing worn out parts though. That's the price of owning a car that is almost 20 years old.

My taxes were only $25 last year and insurance is real cheap.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.