ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out my rear end ratio. I have a 83 280zx. In 5th gear i can do about 65mph at about 2800 rpm. I think i have 3.9:1 Also i have seen people mention 3.7:1 and 4.11:1, which will give he more top end cruising speed? The previous owner had dunlop tires, which i need to replace. Should i stick with these or change ? Any suggestions? I am looking for quiet, good riding and above average handling. I am looking for something to cruise the highway with.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: rearend ,tires</b>

The higher the number (numerically), the more rubber you will burn off your tires. In other words, you generally will have more torque applied to the wheels with a higher ratio (3.9, 4.11, 4.38), than the 3.3 or 3.5. I all depends on what you want. For me, I want to go from 0-90 as fast as possible, I'm not interested in going 150mph. So I'm matching up a 81-83 5 speed with a great overdrive (5 gear) which will keep the rpm's low enough with my new-found 4.11 rearend. This should provide brisk (grin!) acceleration, and be a real headturner.

Robroy
'72 240Z

·
Registered
345 Posts
You should have a 3.9 R200 rear end in your car (provided it was a factory 5 speed/non turbo). The lower the number the higher the top speed (all things being equal), so to achieve your goal you could go to the 3.7 or a 3.545 (came in 83 turbos). Dunlop makes a good tire and depending upon the model often a great tire!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.