ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told the other day that I should do away with my rear sway bars. Not replace them just get rid of them. What are the pro's and con's about them? Not that it should matter but I have a 75 280.
Thanks for your help.
Rob,

·
Registered
650 Posts
> I was told the other day that I should do
> away with my rear sway bars. Not replace
> them just get rid of them. What are the
> pro's and con's about them? Not that it
> should matter but I have a 75 280.
> Thanks for your help.
> Rob,

well, i dont know about the 75, but from experience with my 71... the 71 240 did not come with a stock rear swaybar. so i went ahead and ordered a set from M/S. not only was it a pain in the butt to install (a floor jack does not give you enough height to put it in, so i had to take it to my friends shop and borrow his lift) but you have to drill into the floor boards behind the seats to install the top brackets.

that was a couple of months ago. recently i decided to strip out the carpeting so i could reinsulate the floor and i discovered that behind the passangers seat, the bracket is actually ripping a hole into the floor board.

Must be those crazy hard turns i love so much. =) well, i dont know about other z owners, but i can feel the difference on the turns with the sway bars (and strut bars). but i dont know if i like the idea of a hole in the floor. =(

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

That's really odd advice. The sway bar that was stock on the 280 is
designed to reduce body roll in turns. The 240 didn't come with them but
many people have added them to reduce this roll. As the 280 is a
significantly heavier car, it would seem that roll would be even more
without the bars. Why would you replace the bars to begin with. The
rear bar would be tough to damage because of its location. Simply
replace the bushings and enjoy the ride. Definitely don't loosen up the
rear end by removing them.

Chris
78 280Z in WY

·
Registered
432 Posts
> Thanks for your help.
> Rob,

Chris is right, Rob. Who gave you that advice??? I went so far as to upgrade mine to 1 1/8 in front and 7/8 rear. those sizes absolutely transformed my '78 into a more predictable, flat- cornering pleasure to drive. The poly bushings are great advice whether you upgrade or stay with the stock sizes. Also you should only have 1 rear bar that ties the lower a-arms together. why are you asking about multiple rear bars??

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's and why I asked.

I also agree with keeping them. Like My Z mechanic friend once told me. Datsun put alot of thought into our favorite cars and they knewwhat they were doing with the tecnology of the day. I will leave it in. I was told that haveing a sway bar would make my car have a tendency of lifting the oposite wheel in a hard and fast turn. It didn't sound right to me either so I asked all of you. Thanks for giving me the answer I already knew.
Rob,

·
Registered
486 Posts
Removing sway bars...(Kinda Long...)

First, if the bar is not secure on the body, it does little good other than making noise. Secondly, having too BIG a sway bar can be bad, it can really make the car over steer and when racing can throw you WAY off course or into the guards. Sway bars are good when used correctly. If the front sway bar allows the car to sway because of being too small, yet the back is stiff and doesn't allow the body to roll, guess what comes off the ground, the rear inside tire. Now, why are the front bars bigger than the rear when weight distribution is 50/50? The front needs it more for steering purposes. This is why race cars have adjustable bars, very little adjustment can change a ton of things. I am going to try to take a 260 rear sway bar(because I have two for free), and make it adjustable in the back to help tune the suspension. The guy I know who is really good around here at Autocross doesn't use a sway bar on the back at all, and his front one is tiny. The rules let him add one, but he doesn't want it. It is not a matter of having one or not, nor bigger is better, it all has to be evaluated in conjuction with the spring rates, strut rates (tociko Illuminas), ride height, etc. I added a bigger bar to the front of my 83, nothing to the back, and a world of difference on the street, but over bumps it is also much stiffer and doesn't always get contact on both wheels over bumps. Hope this helps a little,
Joshua L.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.