ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Z people,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to get the double ended bolt out of a rear suspension transverse link arm. I'm talking about the one that holds the bottom of the strut to the arm and that runs parallel to the ground. This is for both a 240 and a 260.

Thanks

Zan

· Registered
5,716 Posts
Welcome to the jungle, Zan. This is absolutely the most difficult task any Z owner undertakes. I suggest you peruse the archives with searches for 'rear suspension', 'spindle bolt' (that's what it's called), 'rear bushings' and the like. You'll find plenty of creative suggestions there. Basically, however, it's going to come down to lots of beating with big hammers, lots of cussing, some blood loss and at least one pulled muscle. My suggestion is to start the process by buying two new spindle bolts, nuts and the little 'set' screw that holds it, because chances are when you're through getting them out, the originals will be mangled beyond re-use. Good luck, and make sure your medical insurance is up to date.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Everything JR says is true. A machine shop might be able to take care of it for you if you take the whole suspension assembly in to them along with new spindles. Get a price in advance, since they may not realize how much of a pain it's going to be.

On the other hand, why do you want to remove it? It should only be done if absolutely necessary. If you're just trying to pull the suspension assembly off to change struts or something, you can do that by removing it with the control arm attached. The only way to remove the outer control arm bushings is to remove that bolt, but I don't think having worn bushings there affects handling greatly. It's perfectly reasonable to just leave them in place.

· Registered
29 Posts
u can get these out, and even save the bolt, but u need a hydraulic press. the bolt won't come out because of rust. remove the lock pin that goes across the center of this bolt and start soaking it with rust penetrant.

remove the entire strut, spindle, and control arm assembly and have someone help you set it up in the press. work the bolt back and forth and keep it soaked with penetrant. use patience and it will come out.

-Casper

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.