Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning, this may be a dumb question.

My drivers side rear struts/shocks are leaking fluid. I heard a sound that sounded like the car running over a manhole cover (very loud clang), and I guessing that is when it started leaking. (There was no manhole cover.) I noticed it soon afterward.

First of all, is it possible that they exploded or something?

Second, do I need to replace them immediately, or can it wait a while?

Third--I don't remember--are they struts or shocks?

Thanks in advance to all who respond!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
1- no they don't EXPLODE, they just start leaking when they get OLD.
2-you should get them replaced, specially when you're talking about the rears, go to the local parts store and you'll pick up a cheap set, it will take you no more than an hour to replace both, maybe two hours if you've never done it before.
3-they are SHOCKS. struts are in the front

·
Registered
297 Posts
i have a question while we are on this subject...i have the factory shocks installed in the rear but when i turn the adjustment knob in the cockpit there is no response, not even a mechanical sound of any sort from either side. so I know that they aren't adjusting. my question is if anybody else has had this problem, and if so, what did you determine the cause to be? it is unclear if this is an electronics issue or an issue with the shocks themselves. thanks in advance,

·
Registered
162 Posts
On mine it meant the shocks were shot, amply demonstrated by the rear tires dribbling like a basketball after each bump, and a loud rattling noise from the rearend. The Illuminas I replaced them with are well worth the money.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
lets see, they would be 21 years old shocks on your 84Z
so I would say they took a sh*t LONG time ago, look for after market shocks the adj are not available ANYWHERE.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I say forget about the adjustables. People here disapprove of the KYB's with the accompanying kit that is needed with adjustables, but I think they are just fine for a stock replacement IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.