Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Does anyone have any tricks that they know to improve one's launch on a zcar Prevent it from squatting so far . I have seen a zcar from JG engine dynamics at a battle of the imports event that launched like a bat out of ****..The car basically lifed before it took off then ran a quarter mile time of mid 12 sec..at about 115 mile per hours...They will not give any advice on what they have done. but they sure will do it for me for about 3 grand.....any advice will be appreciated

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hey there,

First of all, do you have a Z or ZX? There is a huge difference in how you would set up the suspension on the two for drag racing. For a Z, I would recomend all new polyurathane bushings and Tokico struts in the rear. Your choice of Illumina's or regular. I would also recomend stock springs. What you want in the rear is enough stiffness to eliminate any wheel hop, but soft enough to squat a little and transfer weight to the driving wheels (the rear). In the front, however, it is a whole different story. You want the front of the car to come up quick and settle softly. This is achieved w/the proverbial 90/10 shock. Unfortunately, there is no 90/10 strut that I know of for the Z's. The next best thing is either stock one's or some cheap replacements like Gabriel or something like that. Or, if you are really handy, you could revalve the stock struts to act like a 90/10. You will also want a front spring that is rather soft. Stock ones will do. Remember that the Z is a sports car, not a drag car, and setting it up for drag racing using the stock suspension is less than ideal. To do it right, you would need to dump the IRS and install a live rear axle, like a Ford 9 with a four link and coilovers. In the front, you could do something like convert to Fox body Mustang ('79-'93) struts. Lakewood makes some nice 90/10's for those. Of course, now you have ruined that sports car handling.

Anyway, the key is weight transfer and control. You want the weight to transfer to the rear wheels for traction, and control of any wheel hop. If you are really serious, get some drag slicks. An 8 slick works on the Z's. This will be the biggest improvement of your 1/4 times over any suspension mod. However, bring spare driveline parts to the racetrack. You will go through u-joints like crazy unless you upgrade to custom driveshaft and CV axles. Good luck!!!

Ian

> Hello,
> Does anyone have any tricks that they know
> to improve one's launch on a zcar Prevent it
> from squatting so far . I have seen a zcar
> from JG engine dynamics at a battle of the
> imports event that launched like a bat out
> of ****..The car basically lifed before it
> took off then ran a quarter mile time of mid
> 12 sec..at about 115 mile per hours...They
> will not give any advice on what they have
> done. but they sure will do it for me for