ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear Spoiler repair

562 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  roger 
#1 ·
Ok today i went to a 510 swap meet and found someone selling a one piece rear spoiler for the 240Z,260z,280Z anyways this was a used one so I got it for 50 bucks and it has a crack on the back of it on the back of the spoiler and the under part. So my question is how to do fix this crack? just super glue it:)? oh and since this is a used one on the bottom the part that your supposed to drill on the car is that supposed to come off as well?
There is also old paint on it , if i use Auto Strip will that work ok since its not metal?Well thats all the questions i have so if you can give me any advice would appreciate it
Zya
yuichi

#2 ·
You Broke Rule Number One...

of buying used parts, which is "Never spend money on something you don't already know how to fix." Generally speaking, a piece of cracked fiberglass is about as useful as a deed to beachfront property in Wyoming, but here are three alternatives: 1. Take it to a Corvette shop and have the part filled and sanded by them. 2. Take it to a shop that specializes in fixing motorcycle fairings, or: 3. If you insist on trying to do the work yourself, go to the web site of The Eastwood Company and check out their line of epoxy body fillers. You can probably get the same products in your home town, maybe even cheaper.

That's not what I'd do though. Personally, I'd throw that cracked piece of 'glass in the dumpster and head for a junk yard that specializes in Japanese cars. The sad thing about fiberglass is it will probably crack again where it's cracked before, especially if you run a hard suspension. I've got a friend who's repaired the fender well cracks in his vintage Vette eight or ten times over the years.

#3 ·
RE: You Broke Rule Number One...

I believe the factory spoiler was metal. The fiberglass bre spoilers are sold by Motorsports duplicate the original. I believe you glue them on instead of drilling the hatch. I agree with the "take it to a corvette" shop idea. Fiberglass is easy to fix and if you want to try it yourself you can buy a fiberglass repair kit at most auto parts stores. Be forewarned that to get the fix to look good takes some talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.