ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKAY i just bought some 6.5 inch speakers for the rear of my car. They dont fit. There is a metal plat with about a 5 inch hole in it for the speaker to go. It angles the speaker slightly forward. Does anybody else have this? There were no speakers in the car when i bought it so i dont know what speakers were in there. Also, i cant get the metal plates off without removing the plastic wheel well covers. Does anybody else have these in their car?

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
It's a 6.5" hole, you sure you got 6.5" and not a slightly different size speaker? It is very odd to not have a 6.5" hole in a 300ZX.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
The actual size of the hole might be 5" or so, but then you have to take into account the rim of the speaker (where the screw holes are) adds another inch or so to the overall diameter. That doesn't fit in the hole...it should sit right over the top. Does the speaker fit and lay flat, just the holes don't like up or what?

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I'm guessing the speaker he bought is actually an oversized 6.5" speaker. Also known as a 6.75" speaker.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Or a marine speaker...I went to a car audio store for my 86 turbo a long time ago and was going to get Sony Xplod's and they had 1 set in a box, and another set that was measured in mm, not inches...and was a marine speaker. The salesman was wearing overalls...how redneck. He's like man I'm sure these will fit, they're almost the same size. Figuring he knew something I didn't, I took it home and they didn't fit at all. Didn't lay flat in the hole and the screw holes came nowhere near mounting up...so it is easy to get the wrong speaker size.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Oh god; so many people buy that Sony Xplod junk... It's absolute rubbish. Lucky they didn't fit, saved you from installing one of the worst car audio brands in existance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no they are jensens and the box says on it that theyre 6.5 inches. When i set the speaker down into the hole they wouldnt fit all the way in. The box even says they are for a 1988 300zx and should fit with no modification. Heses a picture of the hole.

I measured the hole its 5 or so inches in diameter. How do i get these out? Maybe i could just modify them. And i know, i know, those speakers suck but im broke. Tail lights and fenders are more important to me right now.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Take your car back to Circuit City and say these don't fit right, can you guys check them, your computer said they'd fit? And see if one of the guys there can get them to pop in place. Every 6.5" speaker I've ever bought slipped right into place and bolted right up.

And for your info 85ZX I knew they weren't the best speakers on the market, I just didn't want to buy any MB Quarts or Infinity for my car, I just wanted a plain ol' speaker.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nah theres NO WAY theyll just pop in there. The way the metal plate is angled the speaker rubs on the plate funny and theres a good 3/4 inch of the speaker sticking out of the hole. It says right on the box that theyre 6.5 inches and that theyll specifically fit my car.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Ahh, I bet the mounting depth is WAY too much. I have some 5.25" PPI speakers that have a really deep mounting depth that in no way fit on the car I ordered them for, even though it was the correct speaker size. You have to get a real shallow speaker sometimes to get it to fit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do all your guys speaker mounts look like that though. I measured the actual hole with a tape measure and its 5 inches across.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Yea that's the way they all look...measure the part of the speaker where the actual face of it (the part that makes the music) is...see if it isn't 5" too. I bet the speaker is just too deep...hence the reason the rim wont lay onto the mount flat and there is a 3/4" gap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay ill check it out tomorrow morning

·
Registered
281 Posts
oh god, i hope you kidding 85zx... :)

Take those Jensens back to Circuit City and get a a set of Polk 6.5's or Infinity. Remember, they sell Jensen at PepBoys, and that NOT a good thing.

As far as the hole is concerned, a good set of speakers will come with a few adapters to make the fitting easier. The infinity 6.5's come with at least 3.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Jensen are a decent brand that's been around for a while, I've had home audio gear from them in the past and it's been working strong for years. I must admit I've never used any of their car audio gear but Jensen would be a helluva lot better than Xplod that's for sure.

My personal choice in Clarion/Pro Audio...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have Jensen's too (sadly) and I just mounted 1 screw to get them in. Didn't rattle or anything and I got the covers to go back on also. I was mildly satisfied.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.