ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 86Z. Was told it needed new clutch. Pulled tranny and replaced clutch, flywheel and rear main seal and re assembled. Now!!! Here's the problem. Still leaking from main seal. Pulled tranny 2nd time and purchased new rear seal and then replaced oil pan gasket (dropping oil pan while engine still in car was a @%*!$ but was able to do it with lots of patience) Re installed everything and you guessed it!!!! STILL LEAKING.... It looks like by viewing the end of the crank that it may be oblong, there is a hairline space between the crank and seal at about the 9 O'clock position. What I need or would like to know is, is there an after market seal that can be purchased or what do I need to do.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
85 n/a- years back i rebuilt my engine and machine shop gave me a rebuild gasket set that came with a rear main seal. After rebulding, I had a slight rear main seal leak. After realizing it was the rear main seal, I yanked the aftermarket seal and got the Nissan Factory seal from the dealer. I then took the seal and sunk it a little deeper in the recess than the original was installed. By doing this I grabbed a portion of the crank
without any wear. THIS WORKED- DRY AS A BONE, and I lived happily ever after (100,000 miles later) I did pull the engine to do this.

My 2 cents.
Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.