ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A differential, I think... anywho, going from an auto to a manual... should the rear end be swapped out too? Is there a ratio difference or anything? Is there anyway of identifying a rear whether it's out of a auto or manual? This car turned out to have parts off about a million different cars in it, it might already be a manual rear for all I know...
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Dave's page lists the stock diff ratios: http://geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/5134/

The ratio may be different but probably not off by that much. You didn't mention what year your Z is or what you're getting the manual trans out of so I can't say exactly.

I ran my car with probably the most extreme mismatch you can have - an '82 5-speed with a 3.36 diff, and it was very driveable. A little slow off the line, but not horrible. So, it should "work" no matter what diff you currently have. If you don't mind going underneath there twice, you might just change the tranny and feel how the thing drives. If it's too sluggish off the line, get a higher ratio. If it's too quick off the line and revs are too high on the highway, get a lower ratio.

The only way to tell what ratio you actually have is to pull the back cover and look for the numbers stamped on the ring gear (such as 39:11 for a 3.54 diff) or to put it in neutral, lock one wheel, and spin the other wheel while counting driveshaft revolutions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, it's a 74 260, and the donor car is a 74 260 as well. I haven't really gotten into the pedal too much... I'm letting everything get seated where it wants to be... I've gotten into a couple times... it just seems like it revs up too quick... like it sounds like it's going faster than it is, you know?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Z car's are famous for making that noise. If it is excessive, it could be a problem with your clutch fan. I remember getting a link to an article about it from here somewhere. Sorry I can't link it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.