ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having problems identifiing noise comming from rear of my 74' 260. Replaced carrier bearings and checked wheel bearings for play. They seem to be ok. Noise is not consistant but is very loud. I can't detect any pattern. Comes and goes at all speeds, steering straight and turning. Accelerating and decelerating. All u-joints seem to be ok also. Could it be the splines in the half shafts?

·
Registered
492 Posts
i'm having the same prob w/my 82 zxt ...it only does it when i take off....or accelerate going arround a corner......(left or right)....i've replaced the shocks and bushings (might have helped "just a little bit")... i wouldnt think both axles (or wheel bearings) would go out......and i dont hear (or fell) any "clunk" when i accelerate then let off of it (i think the drive shaft is o.k......)....
recently i had a flat...when that occurred (and i was driving w/the tire flat...to get off the road) it made "that" sound real loud and constantly....does this sound like what's going on w/your's.....kind of a rumble/rattle......from the rear end?
....s

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: What type of noise??

yeah...kind of a scraping noise...and more of a shudder..... its kinda like if you try to take off in third w/o giving it enough gas......you know how a car will shudder...and it makes the scraping/rumbling sound too....it does it on take-off and hard exceleration,..... w/any (hard) gear change or exceleration on curves......
.....jerked arround on the wheels today...they have about 2 in play in them (spinning them back & forth like a steering wheel)...
....i urethaned the rear stabilizer bar today (brackets and ends)..that did absolutely "0" but i want to replace all the rubber anyway....i still have some rear suspension arm bushings to put in.........but i think i may need to get some rear suspension member mounting insulators...i couldnt even see that there were any of them in there @ all.....(but it was kinda hard to see).......are they a bitch ?....... ..s

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: What type of noise??

Going to check the half shafts next. The shaft has a roller bearing / spline to allow the shaft to extend and retract. I have a spare shaft. Thought I would replace them one at a time to see if it makes any difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.