ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what diff. should i get for my 77 to maximize my street racing performance????? also i heard the flywheel from an 80-81 maxima is like 14 lbs is that worth buying for my z or should i save the money for an aluminum one from MSA?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I really like the 3.90, but I haven't driven a 4.11. I don't think a 4spd or Borg Warner T5 would go well with either of these ratios, though (top end would suffer). I use the early 5spd. I don't see why you'd spend $300 plus on an aftermarket light flywheel unless money is not an issue. A lightened maxima flywheel would be fine unless you plan on revving to like 8 grand (not a good idea for the street).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Aluminum Flywheel

You can't believe how fast a z will rev with an aluminum flywheel until you drive one. Too bad they're not legal for SCCA IT racing.

I don't think I'd want one on the street, they tend to make your car stall until it's warmed up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
warmed up ...u mean let my car idle for like 10 min or like 2 hours of driving it might do the trick....lol causeee if thats the case i dont think i want it either'

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I agree with all the comments above about an alum flywheel. I had one but later sold it (at a slight profit) because I found it less than ideal for everyday driving and stoplight racing. Then I spent about $75 having my old one re-toothed and machined. If there is nothing wrong with your present flywheel, leave things alone. Spend that $$ on something else.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I would go with a racing flywheel just maybe not a really light one. MSA and other places sell them at various weights. From what I've read on this site for the last 2 years is that a 13-15lbs flywheel would be good for street driving. If truly the maxima one is 14lbs then get that but I find it hard to believe that it is becuase most stock flywheels are upwards of 20lbs. If not MSA sells a 13.5lbs flywheel as does many other companies that would be good too. You could always have your stock unit lightened but I've heard from several mechanics that its not a good idea becuase when you shave it down to get it to about 14-16lbs the metal gets too thin and can cause you some problems, especially if you are racing. But again others here have done this and not had a problem. Personaly I'm going with a Fidanza or MSA 13.5lbs flywheel. I'd rather pay a little more and get something that is new. Good luck

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Also as far as the gears go 3.9's or 4.11's would be the best for street racing but keep in mind that with your 77 tranny your rpms at higher crusing speeds like 70-80mph are going to be really high. Most people who run a 3.9 or 4.11 rear end swap out to a 280zx 5-speed tranny. However if you don't plan on driving long distances becuase all driving is in town or if you just don't care about high rpms and lower gas mileage then just get the 3.9's or 4.11's. Keep this in mind though, I've heard from several people here that the 3.9's and 4.11's actually made them slower becuase the shift points were different and becuase of traction issues. Of course this wouldn't be a problem on your car for now becuase its mostly stock but once you start modding it you might find that your current 3.54's or a set of the 3.7lsd is better. Remember you can't just throw on a bunch of go fast parts and hope to have a fast car. All your mods must work together properly inorder to gain the best benifits. An example would be Yo2001 on this board. He at the time had the same mods I did and swapped in the 3.9's. After track testing it he saw no difference in his 1/4 mile times and traction was even worse. This is only one case of where higher gears aren't alwayse better.

·
Registered
708 Posts
yes, the combo, matching it is very important.
a 4.11 rear and the early five speed is good for drag racing, but that .86 od will drive you nuts if you have to go anywhere far.
3.9 and 4.1 is match made in heaven for the 81-83 zx NA five speed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I run a "maxima" fly wheel in my coupe.Weighed in at 17lbs.I like it.Run it with 3.54 rear and early 5speed and 215 65 14 tyres.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Well seeing that the maxima flywheel is 17lbs that might be a good road to go if you don't have the money for a aluminum one. However there would be hp gains to be made going from a 17lbs flywheel to a 13.5lbs one. So if you have enough money go with a aluminum 13.5 or if you don't have the money and aren't concerned too much about hp gain go with the maxima flywheel. Either one will be better than your stock one its just up to you how much money you want to spend and how much performance you want to gain.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey Sabbath80zx...

If I can ask, specifically what year Maxima flywheel wheel weighs 17lbs and will bolt to a L6 Z engine? I assume it would be from an L6 Maxima, but when I searched for an flywheel for an '82, the recycler web site wanted information about turbo/nonturbo, so I can see right away something is fishy.

TIA,

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
He mentioned above that he thinks its the 80-81 maxima flywheel. As far as I know they came with a non turbo L6 and thats it. As far as bolting on to our L6 Z engines I think a lot of us on here would like to know as it would be a good alternative to the aftermarket flywheels for those who are on a budget.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.