ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a pair of subwoofers in the rear of my '79 ZX. From the outside the rear deck is rattling badly and this distorts the sound inside. I've tried to put silicone around the edges of the rear deck but it doesn't seem to make any difference. What can I do to stop this rattling? Thanks!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> I have installed a pair of subwoofers in the
> rear of my '79 ZX. From the outside the rear
> deck is rattling badly and this distorts the
> sound inside. I've tried to put silicone
> around the edges of the rear deck but it
> doesn't seem to make any difference. What
> can I do to stop this rattling? Thanks!

If what's giving you trouble is the rear taillight panel at the back of the cargo area, there's an awfully simple solution: take the thing out and throw it in the trash. On my '82, the rear taillight panel was the crummiest thing on the car. It was cheaply made and the vinyl cover kept pulling loose to expose the cardboard underneath. When Motorsport Auto started selling their ZX speaker boxes, I ordered one and it made all the difference in the world. Motorsport's speaker box is just 2 pieces of composition board covered with black carpet and held in place with a couple of L-shaped brackets. They sell it for around $150. It's very well made, but if you've got a jigsaw and a little patience you can make your own in a couple of hours. There's a web site with excellent photos of completed speaker boxes for various Z-cars. Go to <A HREF=http://www.google.com>http://www.google.com</A> and do a search on 280ZX + speaker box.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> I have installed a pair of subwoofers in the
> rear of my '79 ZX. From the outside the rear
> deck is rattling badly and this distorts the
> sound inside. I've tried to put silicone
> around the edges of the rear deck but it
> doesn't seem to make any difference. What
> can I do to stop this rattling? Thanks!

ahh.. i have a 82 280zx with 2 12 subs. i also build custom speaker bins (on the side). i found that the rear glass in the hatch is a major source of vibrating. i have solved almost all the other rattles from both the inside and out side but cant get this to stop. there is a product called Great Stuff that sells for about 3 bucks a can at a local home depot or some crapy store like that. it is great for home stereo installs but works well in cars. it is a sealer type thing that will fill any crack. it will spray in and foam up. i did the intire rear hatch of the car. stoped almost all the rattles. i also used reflixix for more sound proffing and a product called dynamat that you can buy at summit racing or a stereo store. it is a majo sound and rattle deaden. you can use that with some regual carpet pading on the tailight cover and it will stop almost all the rattles. also.. i pulled the tailight cover and noticed a bigg diffrence in sound quality. i have my subs facing outside of the car (not twords the front). i have excelnt spl and hit 20 times harder then anyone else in town.. just wait till i upgrade to jl 12

will

home.earthlink.net/~icnicon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.