Re: "REAR CONTROLL ARM BUSHINGS??......( 79zx

> Does any body know a simple way to
> remove the rear control arm bushings?
> I don't have a hydraulic press to press them
> out. can I heat the arm with a flame?
> I want to install urethane bushings ,
> the rubber and the steel shell won't
> come out. GEO
You can heat them with a flame, if they catch fire it's gonna make alot of smoke(do it outside) be careful not to overheat the arm and make it weak. Use a hacksaw bade and very carefully split the sleeve
take your time with cutting it you don't want to knick the housing.Then drive it out with a punch or small coldchisel.
If you look in the archive
there should be more tips on this from a couple of weeks ago
look for name doug dawson.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Re: "REAR CONTROLL ARM BUSHINGS??......( 79zx

> Does any body know a simple way to
> remove the rear control arm bushings?

Yes, indeed! You use a hydraulic press.

> I don't have a hydraulic press to press them
> out.

Oh, okay. Oooops.... :^)

> can I heat the arm with a flame?

Yes, you can, but it is IMO a truly nutty idea.

> I want to install urethane bushings ,
> the rubber and the steel shell won't
> come out. GEO

Well, I posted a summary of the proper approach to this a few weeks ago. Look in the Archives ( at the bottom of the page ) with keywords Doug Dawson hacksaw cold chisel.

I've had to do this on the 280ZX rear control arms now and then, so I'm pretty familiar with the various approaches to it. Here's what the bushing consists of: a central metal tube ( call it A, ) a rubber bushing ( call it B, ) and an outer metal shell ( call it C ) press-fit into the outer bushing housing ( call it D, ) the latter being an integral part of the control arm.

The combination A+B is best removed with a hydraulic press. Don't be afraid of this, you can pick up a decent press for under $200, and if you plan to spend the rest of your life screwing around with the suspensions on your cars, it's a very worthwhile investment. If you're really that much of a cheapskate, you can forgo the press and simply saw out a _wedge_ from A+B with a hacksaw, being careful to only saw thru A+B, and leave the rest til later. Then just drive the remaining part of A+B out with a hammer and an appropriately sized socket.

Removing C is something I described carefully in the aforementioned post that you should look up in the Archive. It's not hard ( although slightly tedious ) and the approach I describe produces the best results by far.

Whatever you do, do NOT rely on somebody else to remove the bushings for you. I'm not an old codger or anything ( at least not quite, ) and yet I've lived long enough to see too many screwed up approaches to doing this from otherwise reputable mechanics/machine-shops. It's really sad. Do it yourself, knowing that YOU'RE the guy who has to drive in the vehicle.

The removal of A+B by the above method is also briefly described in Wick Humble's book on restoring Z cars, BTW. Every Z afficianado should own this book ( simply as a database of trivia for doing various things on the car, at least. )

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.