ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After loosening the shoes, with the rear wheel off, the drum should come off, right? Have I been breathing too many exhaust fumes, or is there a trick to this seeming simple project?

·
Registered
972 Posts
They are a bitch. Remember that they are composite(Aluminum with Steel liners.) If they don't fall off, there isn't an easy way to do it. People have tried heat and penetrating oils, but on some cars it just doesn't help. On mine the left came off, the right one didn't. I looped a short chain around the heat fins and used a large pry bar against the center of the axle. That bent the heck out of the drum, but it was the only way I could get it off. A friend of mine used a grinder and cut off most of the drum, then chiseled the remander off. If you find a better way then post it here.

> After loosening the shoes, with the rear
> wheel off, the drum should come off, right?
> Have I been breathing too many exhaust
> fumes, or is there a trick to this seeming
> simple project?

·
Registered
77 Posts
> After loosening the shoes, with the rear
> wheel off, the drum should come off, right?
> Have I been breathing too many exhaust
> fumes, or is there a trick to this seeming
> simple project?

It is not always as simple as it seems. I just got through this problem myself. I tried everything. That baby was frozen on solid and I was ready to split the drum in 2. Before doing that, I decided to take it to a brake shop. They have proper tools for the job and they popped it off with no problem for $10, much cheaper than a new drum.

However, I have taken my rear suspension apart and was able to take it over as a smaller piece. If yours is still on the car, maybe you should just drive it over (if you can), and have them pull it off. That will loosen it for the next time. If your car is not operational you may want to consider disassembling suspension parts. This is all I can suggest as I don't know the condition of your car. Good luck.

Scott 77 280

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
When mine was frozen I used a vinyl coated bike lock wire and scissor jack along with the right size block of wood (for the center of the wheel). This, along with even heating with a small propane torch allowed it to pop off without warping. Once you do get it off you should always put a light coating of antiseize in the center of the drum where it presses onto the hub to prevent future problems. Just don't use a lot since you don't want it messing up your brake shoes. Goodluck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.