ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres a site for a great idea.. home made ram air. all it is, is pvc pipe into a k&n filter. easy? yes. im currently working on making it look better but instead of spending about 100 bucks and motorsport you can get it all for probably about 30 bucks. i havent gotten the filter yet but i think there 20bucks and the pvc piping is realy cheap. check out
<A HREF=http://www.newtier.com/graber/z-car/air-intake-project/index.html>http://www.newtier.com/graber/z-car/air-intake-project/index.html</A>
for the basics. ill post later on if i can get it to look a little better.

will

come.to/izcar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
> heres a site for a great idea.. home made
> ram air. all it is, is pvc pipe into a k&n
> filter. easy? yes. im currently working on
> making it look better but instead of
> spending about 100 bucks and motorsport you
> can get it all for probably about 30 bucks.
> i havent gotten the filter yet but i think
> there 20bucks and the pvc piping is realy
> cheap. check out
>
> <A HREF=http://www.newtier.com/graber/z-car/air-intake-project/index.html>http://www.newtier.com/graber/z-car/air-intake-project/index.html</A>
> for the basics. ill post later on if i can
> get it to look a little better.

Does anybody have any real-world figures on whether aftermarket ram-air setups have produced any real horsepower gains? Or is our time better spent on other things? I'd be interested on anybody's opinion on this.

Particularly, I'd be interested in people's opinion re. how the stock air induction setup on the Z is so flawed.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> Does anybody have any real-world figures on
> whether aftermarket
> ram-air setups have produced any
> real horsepower gains? Or is our time better
> spent on other things? I'd be interested on
> anybody's opinion on this.

> Particularly, I'd be interested in people's
> opinion re. how the stock air induction
> setup on the Z is so flawed.

> Doug Dawson
> [email protected]

i would also like to find out if it adds anything to the car. motorsport says Our new RAM-AIR system will give your fule-injected Z or Zx increase power and superior filtration. i would like to see what realy changes. im still gonna do it cause i like it and it adds a cooler effect to the engine than the old blan stock look. i like stock z's but well mines far from stock with a turbo hood (soon to be a 79 turbo hood) head light covers a stereo and fog lamps it doesnt look to stock.

will
come.to/izcar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
Here's your study

OK Guys,
I did the study as a senior engineering student in 1970 for one of my lab classes. The general results are as follows:
1) There is no significant ram effect until a car reaches approximately 90 MPH. At that speed it starts a fairly steep climb so that by 150 MPH you are capable of a 10-15% HP boost.
2) Temperature benefits at lower speeds can be seen, however. The particular automobile I used for the test, a 1970 'Cuda with a 340 V-8, had an underhood temperature 100°F higher than the external air temperature. Pulling the cooler air at that temperature differential was worth about 5%.
Hope this helps a bit.
Phantom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
Here's your answer

I did this study with a '70 'Cuda with a 340 V-8 for a senior engineering lab 28 years ago.
1) the ram effect is nothing until around 90 MPH - then it starts to come on pretty good. By 150 MPH it's worth about 10-15% on the HP curve.
2) On the 'Cuda, however, the underhood air temperature was about 100°F more than the outside temperature. That is good for about 5%.
Hope this helps a bit,
Phantom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this set up better than stock? Well.. The original stock setup on fuel injected models has a few curves and narrowing which can restrict air flow a bit. Grabbers setup using 3 black pcv and the K&N model RU-0900 filter gives better and less restrictive air flow. How much better? Don't know but it seems logical and I am in the process of gathering parts for the transformation..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive gotten everything for mine sept for the filter. i used a wider 90d angle pipe so i didnt have to use the 45d angle to make it look better. its alot wider then the original and has a few less curves. a queastions about the message phantom posted.. would this hp increas be for almost any car or just the Cuda? im not doing this for any performance gain (i would do a new cam for that) im just doing it to say hey i also have ram air :O) ....

will
come.to/izcar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Re: HEY USE A FILTER WITH A LARGER OPENING

>HEY use a 3.5 inlet K&N instead of going through the trouble of slotting that crap. It will fit over the three inch pvc and I guarentee that is is a far superior set up.

ive gotten everything for mine sept for the
> filter. i used a wider 90d angle pipe so i
> didnt have to use the 45d angle to make it
> look better. its alot wider then the
> original and has a few less curves. a
> queastions about the message phantom
> posted.. would this hp increas be for almost
> any car or just the Cuda? im not doing this
> for any performance gain (i would do a new
> cam for that) im just doing it to say hey i
> also have ram air :O) ....

> will
> come.to/izcar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
Nearly any car - see following

The temperature effect can be measured. Put a thermometer just behind your radiator and measure the air temperature coming through it. Then measure your outside temperature. For a rough rule of thumb divide the difference by 460+the outside air temp. and then divide that by 4. IE. Let's assume it's 75° outside and it's 175° just behind your radiator. Difference is 100°. Divide 100 by 460+75=100/535=.186. divide .186 by 4 = .0465 or 4.65%. Don't ask me to remember where I got these numbers. They were experimentally derived at the time and only worked in a fairly narrow range. The 460 is to get temperatures that start from absolute 0.
The ram effect will work on any car that can aim its intake into the oncoming air - and run at speeds in excess of 90 MPH.
I took the inlet snorkel off the air cleaner on my '77 280Z, rotated it 180° so that its inlet aimed forward (instead of backward through the radiator frame) and then reistalled it with the inlet down below the bumper. This faced the inlet forward and forces the air, which is often heavily laden with rain, to run uphill to get to the air cleaner. I have had no problems with the set-up but have also seen no measurable improvement in performance or fuel economy. I think doing something on the inlet side gives marginal help unless somthing is done on the exhasut side too.

Phantom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Nearly any car - see following

whats the part number for the 3.5 inch filter?
i have to order it from some local place or a catolog..

will
come.to/izcar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ram sideways?

> whats the part number for the 3.5 inch
> filter?
> i have to order it from some local place or
> a catolog..

> will
> come.to/izcar

From what I've seen of this coversion, the K&N filter is sideways to the flow of air. How can there be any ram effect? Phantom's Cuda was surely set up differently than a Z.

I also think the temperature gain is not applicable because the intake on the Z is ahead of the rad and not subject to underhood heat.

Having said all that, it's still a worthwhile conversion if only for the sounds it makes. While not really adding any significant HP, does make your car seem faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Ram sideways?

> From what I've seen of this coversion, the
> K&N filter is sideways to the flow of air.
> How can there be any ram effect?
> Phantom's Cuda was surely set up differently
> than a Z.

> I also think the temperature gain is not
> applicable because the intake on the Z is
> ahead of the rad and not subject to
> underhood heat.

> Having said all that, it's still a
> worthwhile conversion if only for the sounds
> it makes. While not really adding any
> significant HP, does make your car
> seem faster.
i had to laugh a little from the last line.

i guess it would give a ram effect cause it is sideways but who cares the sound sure makes it seem faster and any way under my hood neve gets to hot even when im racing i like to say i have a perfect engine cause it doesn leak or do any funny stuff besides the water pump that for some reason works normal now..

will
come.to/izcar - 280zx site
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Ram sideways?

> From what I've seen of this coversion, the
> K&N filter is sideways to the flow of air.
> How can there be any ram effect?
> Phantom's Cuda was surely set up differently
> than a Z.

> I also think the temperature gain is not
> applicable because the intake on the Z is
> ahead of the rad and not subject to
> underhood heat.

> Having said all that, it's still a
> worthwhile conversion if only for the sounds
> it makes. While not really adding any
> significant HP, does make your car
> seem faster.
i had to laugh a little from the last line.

i guess it would give a ram effect cause it is sideways but who cares the sound sure makes it seem faster and any way under my hood neve gets to hot even when im racing i like to say i have a perfect engine cause it doesn leak or do any funny stuff besides the water pump that for some reason works normal now..

will
come.to/izcar - 280zx site
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
Ram Forward

> From what I've seen of this coversion, the
> K&N filter is sideways to the flow of air.
> How can there be any ram effect?
> Phantom's Cuda was surely set up differently
> than a Z.

> I also think the temperature gain is not
> applicable because the intake on the Z is
> ahead of the rad and not subject to
> underhood heat.

> Having said all that, it's still a
> worthwhile conversion if only for the sounds
> it makes. While not really adding any
> significant HP, does make your car
> seem faster.

Simon,
1) 280Z's came standard with a snorkel on the inlet side of the air filter that pulls the air from behind the radiator mount on the passenger side. You will see an oval hole there with a small hole for the mounting bolt right below it. I assume that your inlet snorkel is missing?
2) You are correct that there is no ram effect from a sidewise mount. A sidewise mount will actually create a slight vacuum on the inlet. The big advantage of the K & N is the increase surface area of the filter thereby reducing the pressure loss across it and allowing greater air flow. 'Courrse the only way that really helps is with a set of headers and free-flowing exhaust after the engine.
Happy New Year,
Phantom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
snorkel?

> Simon,
> 1) 280Z's came standard with a snorkel on
> the inlet side of the air filter that pulls
> the air from behind the radiator mount on
> the passenger side. You will see an oval
> hole there with a small hole for the
> mounting bolt right below it. I assume that
> your inlet snorkel is missing?
> 2) You are correct that there is no ram
> effect from a sidewise mount. A sidewise
> mount will actually create a slight vacuum
> on the inlet. The big advantage of the K
> & N is the increase surface area of the
> filter thereby reducing the pressure loss
> across it and allowing greater air flow.
> 'Courrse the only way that really helps is
> with a set of headers and free-flowing
> exhaust after the engine.
> Happy New Year,
> Phantom

Phantom,

If you say it's missing, then it must be so. My first Z was a '71 with carbs. Cheers!

Simon
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top