ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as we all know the timing belt ground off on my car, and proceeded to bend ALL 12 valves... *tear* Got a head job done, put it back together, and now it will start and run fine, but it will NOT idle. As soon as you let off the gas pedal, it will lope and try to idle for about 10 seconds, then just die. I put my finger under the EGR like it says in haynes to check the valve for springiness (I guess that's a word...) and it seems to feel bent sideways or so, and it won't move at all... I'm asuming its open since the ECU gave me codes 41 (Fuel Temperature Sensor, I know its broke), Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor (It's broke too), and code 23 (Idle Switch Circuit is open) But what exactly does it mean by it's "open"? I'm guessing this EGR valve could be the culprit. So please, someone help me get it running again, I really need it soon. Any suggestions are welcome, help a guy out here.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Re: REALLY bad idle problem, need my car running badly, please h

Having a bad CHTS (Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor) won't help matters at all. I would replace it in the process because it will cause idling problems by itself. It is probably not the source of what your experiencing however. It's a shame that the CHTS wasn't done while the timing was being done - it is so much easier that way!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

I don't see the leap in logic where codes 13, 23 and 41 lead to a leaking EGR.
You will get a code 23 if the ECU does not see a change in state of the TPS idle switch during the diagnostics.

If the EGR valve is defective now then it could have been before. There is not much you can do about a defective EGR. Either you replace it or plug it.

A broke CHTS sensor/code means the motor will never run correctly until that sensor or whatever is fixed.

·
Registered
67 Posts

This is probably not related but had a similar problem happened to me when Nissan changed my injectors for free. I assume they took off the top part of my motor and tossed it on the floor. When I got it back it had all kinds of idling problems. They had bent the little rod that the throttle leans against. I had to bend it back, problems went away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.