ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me what size speakers are in the dash of an 81 280zx,
i know the backs are 5 1/4 , but i need the front size.
and how do i get to them?........i was looking at the dash and i have no idea!!
im only 17, and i dont know a lot about z's like most of you do,
but i NEED a system.......music is my life!!!!!

· Registered
5,340 Posts
i got my Z when i was 17, 81 280zxt, and i am now 19. i replaced the stock stereo and speakers. a speaker shop said about $200 and a full days work for the dash speakers. it took me all of 1 hour. first take out the tape deack, ash tray unit. then take out the panels with the little lights that are at your knees. after all that is out you should see four 10 mm bolts holding the dash in, remove these. then take out the plastic around the steering wheel. the screws come out from the bottom. on the dash near the window are 4 little caps that go across the dash. remove these, mine broke in the process. under there are 4 screw, undo these too. then it shold move. just work it out. all this gave me enough room to undo the old and screw in the new. i had polk 4", the holes lined up perfect. you can put in the one on the pasenger side by taking the glove box insert out, the speaker is right there, or just while the whole thing is out. also, in the coupe, i had no luck with the 5 1/4". they were too big and i cut the metal for it to fit, but soon found out that is an awful place and the seats block a lot of sound. i put them in the rear panel that is below the hatch. 4" also fit the original holes in the back. hope this helps, feel free to ask e-mail me with any questions. i will be glad to help in any way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.