ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: NIX BILT RACING (most mechanics suck!)

> Remember one thing if your fixing
> your own car. Nobody want's your car to
> fixed correctly as much as you do.I decided
> a long time ago
> that I would rather do the work myself than
> give some lying retart my hard earned money
> to do botch work on my car. Btw, if your a
> mechanic
> out there, and I just raised your bp about
> 30 points, good. And if I get any flack from
> any
> hostile wrench turner's out there, I will be
> absolutely brutal in my response

Right there with ya, (I'm sure there are probably a few honest mechanics out there in independent shops because I know my parents have dealt with them) But unfortunately the economics of running a shop, flat rate labor by predetermined hourly estimates for a given job are doing nothing but making mechanics try and do as many easy jobs as they can because they get paid more that way. Lets say a brake job is billed as 1.5 labor hours but really only takes a half hour. Obviously the more they can do the more they'll get paid. This is not even mentioning the commission they recieve off parts sales if not necessary (as in notice how midas *always* says peoples calipers need to be replaced when it's probably something that needs to be done about 10 percent of the time)

**** the man cuz he's keepin me down. hehehhe (probably more true than anyone realizes)

Laterz

·
Registered
107,597 Posts

This is one ex-mechanics two cents. Ill tell you now Buyer Beware!!! Of the input I have recieved about Nix Built Racing 90% of it was very Bad. As soon as I moved to the Austin Texas area, I tried to find a z club to cruise with. Capital z of texas sent me a brochure explaining dues and membership apps. As soon as I read on the net and heard from other z owners (in parking lots, gas stations, etc) I was told to stay away from them.

As a former tech., I can tell you first hand about shop rip-offs. I wont go into detail but it is one of the reasons I don't do that kind of work anymore. Be VERY carefull when dealing with these people. They are used to talking to individuals with little or no mechanical knowledge. You throw some mechanical know how across that counter and their going to get intimidated.
JN

> Right there with ya, (I'm sure there are
> probably a few honest mechanics out there in
> independent shops because I know my parents
> have dealt with them) But unfortunately the
> economics of running a shop, flat rate labor
> by predetermined hourly estimates for a
> given job are doing nothing but making
> mechanics try and do as many easy jobs as
> they can because they get paid more that
> way. Lets say a brake job is billed as 1.5
> labor hours but really only takes a half
> hour. Obviously the more they can do the
> more they'll get paid. This is not even
> mentioning the commission they recieve off
> parts sales if not necessary (as in notice
> how midas *always* says peoples calipers
> need to be replaced when it's probably
> something that needs to be done about 10
> percent of the time)

> **** the man cuz he's keepin me down.
> hehehhe (probably more true than anyone
> realizes)

> Laterz

·
Registered
3,551 Posts

> This is one ex-mechanics two cents. Ill tell
> you now Buyer Beware!!! Of the input I have
> recieved about Nix Built Racing 90% of it
> was very Bad. As soon as I moved to the
> Austin Texas area, I tried to find a z club
> to cruise with. Capital z of texas sent me a
> brochure explaining dues and membership
> apps. As soon as I read on the net and heard
> from other z owners (in parking lots, gas
> stations, etc) I was told to stay away from
> them.

> As a former tech., I can tell you first hand
> about shop rip-offs. I wont go into detail
> but it is one of the reasons I don't do that
> kind of work anymore. Be VERY carefull when
> dealing with these people. They are used to
> talking to individuals with little or no
> mechanical knowledge. You throw some
> mechanical know how across that counter and
> their going to get intimidated.
> JN

As an ex-mechanic I can see where people can get the impression that mechs are crooks. I worked with some of them. I always did what the work order said I did, and for a fair price. I always did my work with wrenches, not a pencil, that's why I couldn't work in a dealership (sorry guys if I stepped on yer toes) Except once, I ripped one guy, and he had it coming. He would bring these junk cars in wanting motor honey and all this s***, the ole man would do it, and take a loss on most of what ole Walley brought in. Ole Walley was a used car dealer. Ole Walley brought in a Honda Civic that needed a cam. We were an American shop and the ole man would not touch it, go see that boy over there, he may work on it...I did too. I called the most expensive garage owner I knew, what should I charge....$600.00 labor this was 1986 by the way. Yeah, Ole Walley never asked me to dope up another car, and I got plenty of the shops money back on that one. Now Walley got his cam and a fine running engine, quality work all the way, but he paid through the nose for it. No doubt losing money on the car as he would sell these cars to hard working folx who needed a car. So if I'm a beast, ok, I'm a beast. But I gave Walley what he deserved. I gave him a dose of his own medicine.

Sorry to hear you guys being ripped off by the Z Bretheren. I hope you guys don't think I'm a crook for what I did to Walley, that's why the long explanation.

Ken

·
Registered
62 Posts
Midas brakes

Well, last time I had my brakes done, they told me I needed new calipers on the rears. I would have suspected fraud, except for the fact he showed me the brake pads and I could tell from looking at them that one of the calipers had frozen up. I asked why they couldn't be rebuilt, and he said it's because they are a special racheting style on the back. After he said that I remembered learning that in auto shop, looking at an RX7 with 4 wheel disk brakes. So, in my experience it was actually legit. But, yes, be careful. And, not to be sexist, but if at all possible, have the male in the family take the car in for repairs, the bad apples out there will usually be more likely to try pulling the wool over a woman's eyes than a man's.

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Capital Z of Texas, Austin's Z Car Club

Hey there Josh,

I am currently an officer of Capital Z's Executive Committee and I would like to clarify our current relationship with Brent Nix and Nixbilt Racing. As of the end of the summer Brent Nix was asked to step down as the President of our Club for the reasons that have recently become public knowledge. Our Club has come a long way since Brent was our President. I won't go into all of the BS politics that have happened since then, suffice it to say we are doing our best to distance our Club from Brent Nix and his Nixbilt Racing. I sincerely hope that you take the opportunity to revisit our website and stop by one of our events or meetings and see where we have gone. Thanks for listening.

Tony Lynch
Secretary
Capital Z of Texas
Austin's Datsun/Nissan Car Club

> This is one ex-mechanics two cents. Ill tell
> you now Buyer Beware!!! Of the input I have
> recieved about Nix Built Racing 90% of it
> was very Bad. As soon as I moved to the
> Austin Texas area, I tried to find a z club
> to cruise with. Capital z of texas sent me a
> brochure explaining dues and membership
> apps. As soon as I read on the net and heard
> from other z owners (in parking lots, gas
> stations, etc) I was told to stay away from
> them.

> As a former tech., I can tell you first hand
> about shop rip-offs. I wont go into detail
> but it is one of the reasons I don't do that
> kind of work anymore. Be VERY carefull when
> dealing with these people. They are used to
> talking to individuals with little or no
> mechanical knowledge. You throw some
> mechanical know how across that counter and
> their going to get intimidated.
> JN

·
Registered
107,597 Posts

Hi Josh .This is Brent's wife.You say bad things about brent but,on Sat.nights you come up to Brent and talk to him like you are friends.You also ask him for advise on your car.So what's the deal.I guest I'll find out Saturday.See ya there.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Re: Midas brakes

Hehe you should see my syster she like to do her own car work. and if she cant do it she will find what the problem is Tell the macanic what wrong and if they dont do it sshe leaves.

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Re: I have never met you or Brent in my life!

> Hi Josh .This is Brent's wife.You say bad
> things about brent but,on Sat.nights you
> come up to Brent and talk to him like you
> are friends.You also ask him for advise on
> your car.So what's the deal.I guest I'll
> find out Saturday.See ya there.

I think you have me mistaken for someone else. I don't know any of you personnaly. I was mearly conveying the messages and opinions of others I have talked to about your organization. A majority of the comments I have heard, like I mentioned earlier, was negative. If you say that you have cleaned up the place then maybe I will give you guys another try. In no way was I trying to upset anyone, I was just excersing a first amendment right and thought others should be aware of the information I had heard.
Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.
Talk to you later
JN

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.