ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: hey doug!!!!!here are the specs(rb26dett)

> I dont know about laws governing 3 yeard old
> cars in japan, but if you are a car crazy
> gearhead (if you frequent this forum you
> probably are) go there, and you will notice
> a few things:

> 1.) There is about as much room to drive
> there as in downtown Boston.

> 2.) Cars are disposable.

> 3.) there 'aint no room' for a jiffy-lube 10
> minute oil change place.

The Japanese tend to have a much closer relationship to their dealers than we do. The thought of taking their cars to anyone but their dealer to get the oil changed might horrify many or most of them.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: hey doug!!!!!here are the specs(rb26dett)

> I dont know about laws governing 3 yeard old cars in japan

I think the age-penalty laws were removed in recent years.

> 1.) There is about as much room to drive there as in downtown Boston.

There are highways in Japan (well, at least one). A Japanese Doctor (Dentist?) bought a Ferrari F40 and made a home video of himself blasting down a freeway at 300kph+. It was widely copied in Japan - eventually he was booked by the Police after they got a copy! This *may* be the same Japanese Doctor who killed himself, his co-driver and two checkpoint officials in Australia's Cannonball Run race held in the North Australia outback a few years ago - came to a checkpoint and pulled off the road onto the dirt still doing about 180kph.

> 2.) Cars are disposable.

Their cars are even cheaper without international shipping costs. And the average salary is high. Thus new cars are very affordable. Their rego costs aren't - fees are mostly based on engine capacity, thus the Japanese bent for 2-litre screamers and micro-motors. Also the reason that most models are offered with at least half a dozen engine options. Don't even think about what it costs to park in the city!

> 3.) there 'aint no room' for a jiffy-lube 10 minute oil change place.

I've fitted three Japanese replacement engines on my own cars and seen many others wandering the warehouse. Some are pristine with sparkling coolant galleries and clean oil. Others are average. Bad ones don't get imported. I guess they get serviced under warranty just like our new cars.

> My understanding that with enough
> intercooling, you can make a plain jane
> turbo L6 really move.

Read: With enough money.....

Does an L28T produce 180hp (I think I read that earlier)? Well a non-turbo RB25DE produces 190hp. The latest turbo RB25DET produces 250hp. An RB motor can be made to produce 500 reliable horsepower without any internal work. With internal work then how about 705hp:

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~japeng/
http://www.lisp.com.au/~juric/engines.html

for samples. The US will be more expensive due to the greater shipping distances involved.

> I also dont buy the stories of those RB's kicking out 14,000 RPM
> on a regular basis. These are just inline 6's with all the crank harmonics
> that a L6 is going to have

Read the 705hp article above. It shows what can be done while keeping reliability and streetability. The 1000hp motors only ever do so once or twice on the dyno using high octane fuel, a few prayers and water injection - when they hit the street the boost is wound way back so that its' actually drivable! The owner doesn't usually tell you that part.

> .... Kinda like the
> 900HP Honda 4 cyl v-tec civic some dude was
> trying to convince me could pull 8's in the
> 1/4 mile and still idle smoothly and drive
> on the street. Ya right,...

Hey. I've met the very same guy here in Australia! :)

Lastly, if you haven't seen my other posts then there's a reasonable summary of recent Nissan motors at:

<A HREF=http://www.sssautomotive.com.au/nissan/nissan.html>http://www.sssautomotive.com.au/nissan/nissan.html</A>

Enjoy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.