ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Another case of overeaction.

> Here's my page Judge, check it out, and tell
> me how bad it is.

Well, since you ask, those blue links are nearly impossible to read against the black background...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Re: Another case of overeaction.

> Well, since you ask, those blue links are
> nearly impossible to read against the black
> background...

Which blue links?
Do you mean the ones on the front page, or the ones on the links page?
I use 2 diffrent blues on the site, so which on is the hard one to see.

Thanks for the input.

Chris Behney
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: hard to read

> Which blue links?
> Do you mean the ones on the front page, or
> the ones on the links page?
> I use 2 diffrent blues on the site, so which
> on is the hard one to see.

The ones on the main page. You're using a link color of 0000ff, which is pure blue. It will look different on different monitors, but on mine, it's pretty hard to read against the black background. It would probably look better on a Mac, since they use a different gamma which makes them look lighter.
Another problem with using light characters on a dark background is that it can make the page un-printable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Re: Another case of overeaction.

> Let's see a little more contructive
> critisism at times, instead of this
> negativity you offer.

okay, here it comes...

> Here's my page Judge, check it out, and tell
> me how bad it is.

First of all Chris, there's a couple of issues you need to address concerning your site.

1.) From a visual standpoint:
Your primary concern should be CONTENT not flash. You have no less than 20 animated GIF's on your front page. That's ludicrous, they're like fuzzy dice, very tacky. If you must use them use them to draw attention to important areas.

Blue text on a black background is bad, at a lower screen res (640x480, or 800x600) it may look okay, but it's to hard to read at higher resolutions.

2.)Interface design:
If you want people to come back to your site, navigation is of utmost importance. Locate all of the hyperlinks in one area. One popular way is to use buttons along the side or top of the page to make this easier. You do not want viewers to have to scroll up & down the page looking for the link they want. Buttons on a remote control aren't randomly placed, they're grouped together by common functions, try to make your page like that.

3.)Code:
I would gather that you browse the internet with your browser maximized. There are people with larger monitors that view pages in a window.

just in case anyone wanted to know:
According to GVU's 9th WWW User Survey this is what size
monitors Web users have:

10-12 in. 4.4%
13 in. 10.0%
14 in. 17.8%
15 in. 26.7%
16-18 in. 31.1%
19-21 in. 3.3%
>21 in. 2.2%
Don't know 4.4%

Your page has a problem in that if I increase the width of my browser window everything on your page slides around. Looking at the code for you page confirmed my suspicion that you didn't use tables. Although there was a table for the mail link and the ad at the bottom.
To keep this from happening, create a table 600 pixels wide (an average, more or less is ok) and put your whole page inside of that. Everything inside that big table should go into smaller tables. This will prevent everything from sliding around. Yes it gets more complicated, but it's necessary for a good sight.

Chris, this wasn't a personal attack, so don't take this the wrong way. I am a self taught web developer and I like to pass on what I've learned, and you asked.
If you need any assistance with your site I'll be happy to help.
Sean
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not hard to read

> Well, since you ask, those blue links are
> nearly impossible to read against the black
> background...
The blue on black looks great on my laptop. This forum however...... Hard to tell which messages I've read as the blue and black look very similar on the white background. At least with a laptop monitor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Re: Another case of overeaction.

> okay, here it comes...

> First of all Chris, there's a couple of
> issues you need to address concerning your
> site.

> 1.) From a visual standpoint:
> Your primary concern should be CONTENT not
> flash. You have no less than 20 animated
> GIF's on your front page. That's ludicrous,
> they're like fuzzy dice, very tacky. If you
> must use them use them to draw attention to
> important areas.

> Blue text on a black background is bad, at a
> lower screen res (640x480, or 800x600) it
> may look okay, but it's to hard to read at
> higher resolutions.

> 2.)Interface design:
> If you want people to come back to your
> site, navigation is of utmost importance.
> Locate all of the hyperlinks in one area.
> One popular way is to use buttons along the
> side or top of the page to make this easier.
> You do not want viewers to have to scroll up
> & down the page looking for the link
> they want. Buttons on a remote control
> aren't randomly placed, they're grouped
> together by common functions, try to make
> your page like that.

> 3.)Code:
> I would gather that you browse the internet
> with your browser maximized. There are
> people with larger monitors that view pages
> in a window.

> just in case anyone wanted to know:
> According to GVU's 9th WWW User Survey this
> is what size
> monitors Web users have:

> 10-12 in. 4.4%
> 13 in. 10.0%
> 14 in. 17.8%
> 15 in. 26.7%
> 16-18 in. 31.1%
> 19-21 in. 3.3%
> Don't know 4.4%

> Your page has a problem in that if I
> increase the width of my browser window
> everything on your page slides around.
> Looking at the code for you page confirmed
> my suspicion that you didn't use tables.
> Although there was a table for the mail link
> and the ad at the bottom.
> To keep this from happening, create a table
> 600 pixels wide (an average, more or less is
> ok) and put your whole page inside of that.
> Everything inside that big table should go
> into smaller tables. This will prevent
> everything from sliding around. Yes it gets
> more complicated, but it's necessary for a
> good sight.

> Chris, this wasn't a personal attack, so
> don't take this the wrong way. I am a self
> taught web developer and I like to pass on
> what I've learned, and you asked.
> If you need any assistance with your site
> I'll be happy to help.
> Sean
> [email protected]

OK, here's my response.
First off, I would like to thank you for your help, I've been told the same thing by a few other people, but I like the page the way it is. Time is also a little restrictive on me changing a web page right now, since I have a new car that I'm playing with, and school, and so on.

1)My primary goal of the page, was just to get some publication for the car club. Lets face it, there's just not a lot of content to a buch of guys who own cars, and race them and hang out on the weekends. I use the animated JIGs to divide the areas on the page somewhat. I didn't want to use some lazy, boring stationary line, so I used that ones with a little tacky flash.

I've only had a few people complain about the blue back ground, so I guess it'll have to stay.

2)As far scrolling up and down to find the links, well, look again, you may have missed something. At the top of the page, just underneath the pictures of the club logos, there is a section that contains evrything on the page. All you have to do is click on the section you want to go to. The only thing that's at the bottom of the page, is the guestbook.

3)As far as code goes. I'm currently in the process of addressing this problem. I may not mess with, or I may change it, it's still up in the air at this point. Besides, how much energy did it really take you to make your browser window 2 inches smaller?

I do appreciate your input, and I do like the way you made it seem vey constructive. Don't worry bud, I didn't take it as a personal attack. Do you have a web page? If so, send it to me, and I may link it up on mine.

Thanks again.
Z-ya,
Chris Behney
Redline Autosports
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top