·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Ah knock it off.

> Oh, come on now. You were asking relatively
> basic questions the answers to which MAY OR
> MAY NOT BE OBVIOUS because some of the
> schematics are obscure in the shop mahual.
> And you were asking for some perspective on
> this, and that perspective IS CONTAINED IN
> DWIGGINS if you care to read it. I don't
> have the time right now to do all of your
> homework for you, but I've bloody well told
> you how to do it, so get to work. Stop
> hectoring me.

> Best regards,

> Doug Dawson
> [email protected]
Doug, after having Nissan dealers tell our customers that these systems couldn't be fixed, or quotes in the 2000.00 range to try and fix them, we successfully transplanted several climate controls, changing them to manual setup.
It's a 3 hour job for our mechanic, including r and r dash. It's also a bolt in changeover, without discharging the freon. We started doing this over 10 years ago, and found it to be a cheap permanent repair to an previously ongoing problem. The parts neccessary run about 100.00 used, and we always put in a new heater valve (nissan). As long as the customer is more interested in having heat than keeping it stock,
it's the way to go. Not one of ours has come back in 10 years, except to thank us. I'm directing this a you, as you have been very helpful to a lot of people, and we need to share our repair
experience to keep these fine cars on the road.
I heard that nissan is coming out with a new z
next year. Have you seen pictures, or heard anything? thanks, joe

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Re: Ah knock it off.

> Doug, after having Nissan dealers tell our
> customers that these systems couldn't be
> fixed, or quotes in the 2000.00 range to try
> and fix them, we successfully transplanted
> several climate controls, changing them to
> manual setup.
> It's a 3 hour job for our mechanic,
> including r and r dash. It's also a bolt in
> changeover, without discharging the freon.
> We started doing this over 10 years ago, and
> found it to be a cheap permanent repair to
> an previously ongoing problem. The parts
> neccessary run about 100.00 used, and we
> always put in a new heater valve (nissan).
> As long as the customer is more interested
> in having heat than keeping it stock,
> it's the way to go. Not one of ours has come
> back in 10 years, except to thank us.

I fully agree now that there are some people who should definitely convert to the non-auto system. It takes some dedication to master the system, particularly for the home mechanic. To some people it won't be worthwhile. And to those people who absolutely refuse to take the time to sit down and understand how these systems work, it would be DOUBLY not worthwhile, because IMO that's a requirement to even starting work on a system like this. ( Not speaking of anyone in particular. )

> I'm
> directing this a you, as you have been very
> helpful to a lot of people, and we need to
> share our repair
> experience to keep these fine cars on the
> road.

I also appreciate your contributions to this board. They stand as a model of how a commercial interest can be integrated into such a forum. As a moderator of a Usenet newsgroup, I deal with this stuff all the time, and IMO few handle it as well as you.

> I heard that nissan is coming out with a new
> z
> next year. Have you seen pictures, or heard
> anything? thanks, joe

Just the stuff in AutoWeek that's been dribbling out, so far. I thought Nissan was going to unveil a prototype at the January car show ( in Detroit? )

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"As a man sows....shall he reap...."

> Oh, come on now. You were asking relatively
> basic questions

**** right. In fact, I was asking STRAIGHTFORWARD AND DIRECT QUESTIONS.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> the answers to which MAY OR
> MAY NOT BE OBVIOUS because some of the
> schematics are obscure in the shop mahual

I told you three times, I ALREADY READ THE **** MANUAL.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> And you were asking for some perspective on
> this, and that perspective IS CONTAINED IN
> DWIGGINS if you care to read it.

WRONG. I stated ....would appreciate all helpful responses rather than '...read the service manual'....responses.

> I don't
> have the time right now to do all of your
> homework for you

I didn't ask you, or anybody else, to do my homework for me. I asked if anybody could HELP me by providing ANSWERS to QUESTIONS, not REFERENCES to the FUCKIN LIBRARY.

> but I've bloody well told
> you how to do it

What you told me was that if I wanted any answers to my questions, then go read a manual. Could you have any more of an elitist, snobbish, patronizing attitude?

> so get to work. Stop
> hectoring me.

For a week now I've been asking for direct answers to direct questions. THREE SEPARATE TIMES you've referred me to service manuals. I've already thanked you ONCE for the references. But that WASN'T ENOUGH for you.

You had to CONTINUE to WASTE MY TIME with your egocentric, long winded, pointless, diatributes that always ended NOT ANSWERING any of my questions, and then REFERRING me to a MANUAL. What are you, related to Bill Clinton!?

I've read quite a few of your posts, Dawson. You paint a pretty clear picture of yourself as an egocentric, self promoting, proselytizing windbag, who loves to hear himself speak. As near as I can tell, you're directly related to Bill Clinton.

So here's my advice to you. If you're gonna help, then HELP. If you're not sure of the answers, then by all means qualify that as part of your response. BUT, If all you're gonna do is is spout verbal diahrerra, then keep it to yourself.

> Best regards,
> Doug Dawson
> [email protected]

For REAL,
Sammy in CT

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: "As a man sows....shall he reap...."

Sammy in CT,
First, please, if you are going to personally attack anyone on this board, please take the time to e-mail them personally. Most of us here watched the autoforums board go downhill and self destruct in a period of about two weeks because post very similar to yours. I am only posting this here because I feel everyone should see it.
I have watched Doug post to both boards for about a year, and he is not what you have made him out to be. None of us here are experts. Some own shops, some are professional mechanics, and most are back yard tinkers,(who love the Z). Even those of us that do this for a living,(me included) do not know everything, and I don't think you are implying that. But the book Doug is refering to does give much better insight than the weak factory manual,(which always assumes you know and understand the systems anyway), and would definatly help you work through your problems. Now if you have read it and it is no help, fine, but since you haven't read or looked at it, don't knock it or Doug. He means well. He loves Z's as much as the rest of us and we don't need this type of thing here.
I realize that you are looking for specific answers, but sometimes responses like Dougs are the best you will get. Not always, but sometimes. And with something like the automatic climate control, it is just that much more likely.
This is not meant to be personal, I wanted everyone to see my response because I would like to see this board continue to be as great as it already is, and not deteriorate like Autoforums did. If you would like to continue this discussion, please e-mail me personally.
-Bob Hanvey
[email protected]

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not here please.

Sammy in CT,
First, please, if you are going to personally attack anyone on this board, please take the time to e-mail them personally. Most of us here watched the autoforums board go downhill and self destruct in a period of about two weeks because post very similar to yours. I am only posting this here because I feel everyone should see it.
I have watched Doug post to both boards for about a year, and he is not what you have made him out to be. None of us here are experts. Some own shops, some are professional mechanics, and most are back yard tinkers,(who love the Z). Even those of us that do this for a living,(me included) do not know everything, and I don't think you are implying that. But the book Doug is refering to does give much better insight than the weak factory manual,(which always assumes you know and understand the systems anyway), and would definatly help you work through your problems. Now if you have read it and it is no help, fine, but since you haven't read or looked at it, don't knock it or Doug. He means well. He loves Z's as much as the rest of us and we don't need this type of thing here.
I realize that you are looking for specific answers, but sometimes responses like Dougs are the best you will get. Not always, but sometimes. And with something like the automatic climate control, it is just that much more likely.
This is not meant to be personal, I wanted everyone to see my response because I would like to see this board continue to be as great as it already is, and not deteriorate like Autoforums did. If you would like to continue this discussion, please e-mail me personally.
-Bob Hanvey
[email protected]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ditto BOB!!!

> Sammy in CT,
> First, please, if you are going to
> personally attack anyone on this board,
> please take the time to e-mail them
> personally. Most of us here watched the
> autoforums board go downhill and self
> destruct in a period of about two weeks
> because post very similar to yours. I am
> only posting this here because I feel
> everyone should see it.
> I have watched Doug post to both boards for
> about a year, and he is not what you have
> made him out to be. None of us here are
> experts. Some own shops, some are
> professional mechanics, and most are back
> yard tinkers,(who love the Z). Even those of
> us that do this for a living,(me included)
> do not know everything, and I don't think
> you are implying that. But the book Doug is
> refering to does give much better insight
> than the weak factory manual,(which always
> assumes you know and understand the systems
> anyway), and would definatly help you work
> through your problems. Now if you have read
> it and it is no help, fine, but since you
> haven't read or looked at it, don't knock it
> or Doug. He means well. He loves Z's as much
> as the rest of us and we don't need this
> type of thing here.
> I realize that you are looking for specific
> answers, but sometimes responses like Dougs
> are the best you will get. Not always, but
> sometimes. And with something like the
> automatic climate control, it is just that
> much more likely.
> This is not meant to be personal, I wanted
> everyone to see my response because I would
> like to see this board continue to be as
> great as it already is, and not deteriorate
> like Autoforums did. If you would like to
> continue this discussion, please e-mail me
> personally.
> -Bob Hanvey
> [email protected]

Sorry guys, but this is starting to look like that other board! Heaven help us!

Happy New Year!

Motorhead in SC

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: Joe at All East Z

we successfully transplanted
> several climate controls, changing them to
> manual setup.
> It's a 3 hour job for our mechanic,
> including r and r dash. It's also a bolt in
> changeover, without discharging the freon.
> We started doing this over 10 years ago, and
100.00 used, and we
> always put in a new heater valve (nissan).

Joe, do you make house calls? I'm in Bellingham, WA. This was a suggestion you made with regard to my heat/defrost trouble. Or could you tell my dealer how to do this in 3 hours. They just gave me an estimate of $1130 to replace my heater core and valve. They did say they could give me a 15% discount, but also added it could be more, depends on what they find when they get in there. I enjoy working on my car and am certainly capable, but I don't have the time or place to do this. I just bought a house without a garage (stupid stupid stupid, nobody do that). The auto temp system is nice, but I'd much rather be able to control the fan speed myself. I've never had trouble in any car driving for hours and not getting the temp set right so I'm not constantly adjusting it. (at least when the wife's not around .. ha ha it's a joke)

And by the way, this is a great site. I sit here and read posts for hours. The wife thinks I'm going to leave her for Zcar.com. I appreciate the responses I've received too. But please, if I want the crap I could sign up for AOL and get onto a chat room. Humor is great, but remember, everyone has a different idea of humor. It's easy to joke when talking to someone in person, you can use a tone in your voice or even body language to show your kidding, but you don't get that just reading a post or email. JMO (just my opinion).

Thanks,

Randy Best

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: Joe at All Z East

Joe, the second part of my previous message was not for you. Just a general comment for everyone. Sorry if that was not clear. See how easy it can be to get the wrong message from a post!! I also corrected to All Z East!!

Randy

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Joe at All East Z

> we successfully transplanted
> 100.00 used, and we
Randy, the mechanic that did these for us no longer works for us, but is available to do your job, either in portland, or he could drive up and charge travel time. He charges around 100.00 to do
the installation, really it's no big deal.
I have no doubt that this guy is quicker than a lot of nissan dealer mechanics, as he used to r and r 84-89 300zx engines, and burnt wiring harness, and components, sometimes start to finish in one day. He also used to tow our cars from the auction, totally dismantle the entire car, (I mean everything), and haul it down to the shredder the same day.
seriously, give me a call, and we will get your heater going. He can also fix the climate control style, but prefers to change it out, and never have to repair it again. those climate control repairs used to comeback with a different problem
6 months later, but the customer just knew it didn't work again, and out comes the dash, and find the next frozen or rusted module, or vacuum pod sometimes for free. Some of these jobs he took on came from customers with nissan dealer quotes in the 1500-2000 range. THis mechanic's name is doug, he loves datsuns,and has over 20 z's of his own. thanks, joe
> Joe, do you make house calls? I'm in
> Bellingham, WA. This was a suggestion you
> made with regard to my heat/defrost trouble.
> Or could you tell my dealer how to do this
> in 3 hours. They just gave me an estimate of
> $1130 to replace my heater core and valve.
> They did say they could give me a 15%
> discount, but also added it could be more,
> depends on what they find when they
> get in there. I enjoy working on my
> car and am certainly capable, but I don't
> have the time or place to do this. I just
> bought a house without a garage (stupid
> stupid stupid, nobody do that). The auto
> temp system is nice, but I'd much rather be
> able to control the fan speed myself. I've
> never had trouble in any car driving for
> hours and not getting the temp set right so
> I'm not constantly adjusting it. (at least
> when the wife's not around .. ha ha it's a
> joke)

> And by the way, this is a great site. I sit
> here and read posts for hours. The wife
> thinks I'm going to leave her for Zcar.com.
> I appreciate the responses I've received
> too. But please, if I want the crap I could
> sign up for AOL and get onto a chat room.
> Humor is great, but remember, everyone has a
> different idea of humor. It's easy to joke
> when talking to someone in person, you can
> use a tone in your voice or even body
> language to show your kidding, but you don't
> get that just reading a post or email. JMO
> (just my opinion).

> Thanks,

> Randy Best

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BOB H & MOTORHEAD..TRUTH AIN'T ALWAYS PRETTY..

Can appreciate your desire to preserve integrity of this board. That's fair enough.

BUT, I stand by my previous opinions. Anybody who responds to my cries for help by telling me to '...read a manual...' not once but THREE times, and then DEMANDS to know '...did you read the manual yet....', obviously has an OVERACTIVE EGO.

When the SAME GUY then has the gall to say '...I'm not going to do your homework for you....', he OBVIOUSLY thinks of himself as something special, or perhaps in this case the CENTER of the FORUM UNIVERSE. This behaviour is unnecessary and unwelcome, and I will not accept or stand for it

Why don't you guys read Bob A's responses to my questions. He provides straight answers to straight questions. No '..read the manual...did you read the manual...I'm not going to do your homework for you...' or any other BS responses. Bob A provided every answer I needed to isolate and correct a serious problem with my car. And answers were all I was ever looking for.

Sammy in CT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Can appreciate your desire to preserve integrity of this board. That's fair enough.

BUT, I stand by my previous opinions. Anybody who responds to my cries for help by telling me to '...read a manual...' not once but THREE times, and then DEMANDS to know '...did you read the manual yet....', obviously has an OVERACTIVE EGO.

When the SAME GUY then has the gall to say '...I'm not going to do your homework for you....', he OBVIOUSLY thinks of himself as something special, or perhaps in this case the CENTER of the FORUM UNIVERSE. This behaviour is unnecessary and unwelcome, and I will not accept or stand for it

So then what was I looking for, you may ask. Well, for answers, read Bob A's responses to my questions (somewhere above or below this post). Bob provides straight answers to straight questions. No '..read the manual...did you read the manual...I'm not going to do your homework for you...' or any other BS responses. Bob provided every answer I needed to isolate and correct a serious problem with my car. And answers were all I was ever looking for.

Sammy in CT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

When the SAME GUY then has the gall to say '...I'm not going to do your homework for you....', he OBVIOUSLY thinks of himself as something special, and obviously thinks he can SCOLD me for ...NOT LISTENING TO HIM...; or perhaps in this case this guy thinks he's the CENTER of the FORUM UNIVERSE. In any case, I don't stand for these attitudes in my professional or personal life, and I sure won't tolerate it from some stranger in cyperspace.

So then what was I looking for, you may ask. Well, for answers, read Bob A's responses to my questions (somewhere above or below this post). Bob provides straight answers to straight questions. No '..read the manual...did you read the manual...I'm not going to do your homework for you...' or any other BS responses. Bob provided every answer I needed to isolate and correct a serious problem with my car. And answers were all I was ever looking for.

Sammy in CT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.