ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the vg motor stack up against the rb30et (from '80's skylines). Ive heard of the rb's running 10sec. 1/4mile passes on stock internals, do our motors have the same potential??
thanx for any info

·
Registered
353 Posts
well i dont know anything about rb30et (single cam?)but most other skylines came with the rb26dett(wich i have seen bored to 3.0 liter but not with my own eyes just pics) wich is a twin turbo 2.6 liter and i have to say that i think its a better engine as far as powerhouse goes, you should really compare it to a vg30dett(newer z's) because of the double overhead cam and two turbo similarity , but yea there has been alot of skylines known to make in excess off 500hp and our cars making those numbers are scarce,and i am sure that 500hp in a z32 is easier too, but i also read in my sportcompact(magazine) that they have a problem with rod knock wich i have no idea if it is the weak point (also not sure what rod knock is) , also running 10"s would probably be an r32 as they are way lighter and are coveted as the better of the three generations that came equipped with the rb26dett, also this car came with all wheel drive wich wouold help with traction , i am sure it is not impossible and as far a durabilty it is most likely that the rb26dett came with forged rods or pitsons or both(vg30dett came with bot pistons and rods forged) ,and maybe even a forged crank , im not sure but if hasd some of those components it would make it considerably stronger than our engines.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The VG motor is very capable and you can get pretty much whatever you want out of it. You can build a much more potent VG motor for less money than building any RB motor for the Z31

·
Registered
782 Posts
I agree with steve.. I like the skyline motors but just like my engine I put in some 40 dollar TT rods and some BRC pistons and its ready to make some serious power. The limits of our stock crankshafts?? I dont know, I really havent seen anybody break or have any problems with a crank. I guess that girdle on the crank was a great idea!

Post Edited (Nov 5, 9:50pm)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
rat1314:
For one thing, AU Skylines did not get the RB30ET, VL Commodores did.
It is not unknown for AU Skyline owners to fit the Holden parts. Bonnet clearance is a minor issue.

Jap market cars did not get the RB30, it was too low-tech for the Jap market. The RB30 is the black sheep of the RB family. The RB30 is good for people who can't be bothered changing the timing belt as the cam can freewheel without causing damage.

The RB30 cylinder head is no work of art. Like the VG30, it is 2 valves per cylinder and single overhead cam with hydraulic tappets.
Unlike the VG30, an RB30 can be fitted (with some small mods) with a twin cam head for extra breathing, although the RB20DE head is ported a bit smaller than ideal for a 3 litre, as you would expect.

Are those claimed 10-second RB30's using the single cam 2-valves-per-cylinder head?

·
Registered
353 Posts
ok so they also came with rb25det, and the rb 20,. but the one worth talking about is the rb26dett , if youre poor(im pretty poor) it is not worth swapping it in , but i believe it is smaller in size maybe also lighter ,ansd the engine made in v shape are known to have problems with heat , also i think inlines are better engineered for higher revs , all in all, why do you think they put rb in the skyline(the sportiest of sports car made by nissan, also i believe the flag ship) , and the vg in the grand touring(not so sporty) chassis, dont get me wrong ilove my vg and everything z ,i also think the skylines is a little squarish and ugly , and i dont appeal to the all weel drive as much as i do to burn outs a peeling out , also in japan there is a bigger market for the rb, i believe hks makes a stroker kit (2.8?) and there is many parts for it , if had ten grand and alot of time in my hands i would swap in an rb26det(single bigger turbo), but before id put all types of goodies in it , you can do it if you find a 200zx(rb20det) crossmember , and fint a way to support the rb25det tranny , i think theres a guy here with an rb , our engines are great and you can make alotof power with them , but i hate the tight space between everything in the engine compartment , i recently blew a head gasket and i think taking only one cylinder head instead of two would be simpler and quicker

·
Registered
458 Posts
if you want to put an RB into your Z31 then go for the RB20DET by buying a Z31 Fairlady front clip so you get the mounts and everything else needed. RB engines are strong engines and can hadle high HP. But it is cheaper to stick with a VG30ET.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all of the input, i do plan on modding up my vg engine as a swap would be too mutch hasle, just wanted a comparison with the older rb motors power wise

Mister T, the 10sec. rb30's that im talking about are running 2 valve per cilender SOHC heads and there are a few of them getting around Aus. and yes they are most common in VL commodors but I have seen them in the older skylines as well

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Tight engine bay is a good thing in my opinion; nothing looks stupider than a car with a huge engine bay and a tiny motor.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Say that when working on that car with no space under the hood. That car with the tiny engine in the big bay would look pretty nice...lol. LaterZ.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Hehe yeah I get what you mean; but people seem suprised when they see the V6 under the Z's hood. The only other option would of been to make the engine smaller which would of been criminal! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.