ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mefore i got stationed overseas, a friend of mine back in the states mentioned that i can fit a skyline engine into my z. is this a good idea? or should i try to get both the engine and tranny?
he said it was one of these RB26 RB25det 2.5 or R33? i dunno, i just wrote them all down in my electronic rolodex. any help is appreciated. i might never get around to doing it, but its something to put serious thought into if i came across the money

-chad- 1979 280zx

· Registered
1,807 Posts
here is some info...

you want an RB26DETT out of a skyline GTR,any year GTR wil work, however, they are AWD, so you need to get a transmission from a Skyline GTS (I think)which is RWD and came with a RB25DET. and you also need 300ZX 200ZR motor mounts and it is pretty much a bolt in affair, from what I understand. Wxcept you need to fab a transmission mount and of course a custom driveshaft, and might want to up grade to an R200 rear end, thats all I can think of right now, if you are overseas, send me a motor, lol!!

McAdam

PS. RB26DETT is a 2.6L DOHC twin turbo motor, RB25DET is a 2.5L DOHC turbo motor, and the R32, R33, and R34 are just different years/body types of skylines........

· Registered
142 Posts
you can get the motor state side they want lots of cash for them in japan you can get the motor,trans and all 4 corners for $5000.00 in the state youll haft to look for the placs that have jap-spc motors, sur would be nice to have a tt dohc 6 speed,good luck

· Registered
4 Posts
THE SKYLINE ENGINE OF CHOICE IS THE RB26DETT MEANING TT FOR TWIN TURBO
MEANING BITCH TO FIT AROUND YOUR STEERING.......... IF YOUR GONNA TRY IT GET THE MOTOR ,TRANNY, WIRING, AND EVERY THING YOU CAN
AND PLAN ON MODIFYING QUITE A BIT.
HUEZO RACING..........SO....CAL

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
RB25 best bet.

They are in EVERYTHING over in Japan. Are CONSIDERABLY cheaper than the RB26DETT, and have 250HP stock. Many upgrades are available.
The GTS Skyline has the RB26DETT motor and the correct tranny, as does any manual transmission car with an RB25DET.
RB25 is single-turbo, so packaging is easy.
With the lower cost, and ULEV rating of the engine (Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) you should have no problems with any stateside emissions test you shoule encounter.

· Registered
251 Posts
RB25 best bet.

The only cars with the RB26s are the GTRs. To put this engine in you need a new gearbox and a new sump (from an RB30 i think). But they are very expensive.
The gts uses an RB25, and is rear wheel drive, and has a 4.44 R200 LSD, so try and get a whole car :p One day i want to put this engine in my zed.

If you're really serious, you might want to call this place in western australia, because it looks like they have done this sort of thing before and may even know what they are doing.

SST Automotives
Unit 12, 92 Mallard Way
Cannington WA 6107
Phone/Fax: (08) 9350 5444
Email:[email protected]
We have been developing and racing Datsun/Nissan performance cars for 17 years in WA. Our cars have won the WA Marque Sports Car Championship (1999) and have featured prominently in WA motorsport for many years. We are also associated with the majority of racing Z cars in WA.
Our current specialty is RB20/25/26DETT conversions into 240/260Z. Our work is not limited to the engine; we also cover all facets of preparation from body to suspension and brakes! We have grown to include late model Nissan performance vehicles (we have our own in-house GTiR race car), from Pulsars to GTRs. We are WA distributors for Wolf/EMS/Haltech engine management systems and Speed Technology/EFI Hardware.

They should be able to tell you everything you need to know.

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: thanks guys

thanks for your help with this matter, i think i'll just stick to cheap upgrades and rebuilds to keep it living untill i can get stationed in japan, then do a complete overhaul. (if i still have it)

-chad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.