Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
weird:
I just replaced my front brake pads. a day after replacing them i noticed some weird rattling coming from my car if I'm accelerating hard. first i thought it was engine knocking, but then i noticed it after going over a bumpy stretch of road with my windows down. If I kick either of my front wheels, there is definitely a rattling noise that wasn't there before I did the brakes.
After jacking the car back up and removing the wheels, I can find nothing loose on the front suspension or on the brake calipers or rotors, everything seems solid. However after putting the wheels back on and driving, the rattling/clanking is still there. I dont like it at all.. anybody have any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
How do the brakes feel?

Jack the car up and have someone look under there while you're kicking the wheel, that should localize the problem.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the brakes feel pretty good. i bled them and everything, pedal is nice and the car stops real quick.

I'll try jacking it up while someone inspects it from beneith though, thats a good idea.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Also maybe its the shim's did you put brand new shim's on it when you did the brakes...those new shim's like to make before they get warn in..

·
Registered
793 Posts
They always tell you to put new ones on but the fact is and I'm sure other on here will tell you the same--the new shim's that come with your brake pads are a little off from the factory nissan shims and they almost always make racket... That is probly what your problem is. Is the noise like a squeal type noise like something is rubbing the rotor or something different. Because unless I have to use the new shim's I never put the new ones on. The old ones are already broken in and wont be scraping your rotor.

·
Registered
793 Posts
You know that I'm talking about the shim's that the pad's lock into not the ones on the side of the pads! The ones on the top and the bottom of the pads.. I bet thats your problem its more like a squeal then a rattle?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no its not a scraping or squeeling sound at all. the brakes are totally silent. its a rattling noise, like something is loose or vibrating. if i drive over a bumpy road or if i kick the front tires it sounds like something is hitting the caliper. i was thinking it might be that plate which sits behind the rotor, but that is solid and touches nothing. i'm a little at a loss..

so my question becomes this: should i remove the pads again and the new shims and put the old ones back on? I did keep them in case something like this happened. the new shims are a completely different shape and size than the old ones, but i figured it was just cause the pads are newer and not made by nissan. They are high quality $60 pads that came with small metal shims that i had to affix to the back of the pads with some sort of tape like adhesive that was already on the shims.

Another odd situation: my dad just replaced the brake pads on his 2003 mitsubishi eclipse, front pads only, and has the says he has a clanking noise as well but only on one side. his car doesn't use shims... is there some basic step we overlooked? i just don't get it...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Im not sure about your dads car, I never messed with an eclipes, But as for yours I still think its the shim's--But again I'm talking about the shims that the pads lock into the ones that go on top and on bottom of the pad not on the side those with the adhesive dont matter, Other than that are the lugs tight enough theres nothing else under there that can make that kind of noise brake wise any ways unless its something totally different!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Oh on your Dads there might be something wrong with a caliper.. I would have to hear it!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well tonight i'll take my pads out and switch out the shims with the old ones and we'll see what happens. I noticed that the original shims were a two piece unit and the new ones were smaller one piece shims. You're probably right about my car. I gotta get to work now so i'll inspect it all later tonight. as for my dads car, it sounds identical to mine which makes me think the problem is related in some way, but his calipers don't use shims so perhaps one of the pads is just touching something its not supposed to.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Or it is supposed to use a shim and theres not one in there?
But again I dont know anything about that car!

·
Registered
958 Posts
omg! I have the same problem with my car(I think!)! Tell me if you find out what it is. I think mine is the struts. not sure.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no, it sounds like engine knock, like thin metal objects hitting another metal object. it happens if there is a shock or vibration, such as driving over a crack in the road, bumpy/rocky road, etc. It can also be caused by the engine vibration (very high revvs, accelerating down an onramp for example) but the pitch of the sound remains the same regardless of speed or engine rpms. I got home too late tonight to try the replacing the shims with the original ones again.
the sound definitely happened exactly the same time i replaced the pads so i'm convinced it has something to do with the brakes.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Its the SHIM'S

·
Registered
793 Posts
I am curious to know what huss is thinking it is because my car is making a bad cv joint noise from the rear.. and it has the same simtoms as huss was describing..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.