ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just bought it. 77. Weak headlights. Missed with fusable links, were lose. Went to try it again, blew fuse to parking/tail lights. Blew many fuses. Checked for burned wire, didn't find an obvious one. Now, no tail lights/parking lights, etc, but got headlights when I push switch all the way on. Since I'm dianostically-challanged could it be the combo switch? What else?
Help!
Bud

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bud,

I certainly hope you figure out what is causing your problem vecause you have described what is going on with mine perfectly. I baught my car this summer and usually drove her in the day so the plroblem never came up, I have weak headlights and no taillights. I saw your answer to mine so I will keep you informed of any fixes I come up with.

MGB

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Bud: Best to take it to a shop that is competent in electrical repair. Without the proper tools and abilities, you can easily make the problem worse.
The basic diagnostic route is to start at the voltage source and work forward until you find the source of the problem. Changing a part in the middle of the circuit is just guessing, maybe it helps, maybe not.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Guys, this has been covered by others in probably better postings than what I can summarize here.

Basically the Z cars were notorious for having electrical problems that began at the fuse box. Check your fuse box, make sure that all the contacts for the fuse holder to the wire or metal bracket behind it are TIGHT. This might mean using a small nail punch or soldering (although my experience is that the surrounding plastic melts before you can get a good solder flow) to make sure that the fuse holder has proper continuity with the source wire. Then make sure that the area where the fuse will be held in is free of all corrosion or dirt or anything that would obstruct the transfer of electricity.

Lastly check your fuses. It has been posted more than once, "I finally checked the fuse and lo and behold...." Remember, some of those fuses might in fact be 10-30 years old, and just cause they LOOK right, they might in fact have poor conductivity or actually be inserting a resistance into a circuit that doesn't need that type of help.

FWIW

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm afraid you're screwed, my friend. Just like me! I have a similar problem that I have been chasing for a year. But mine kind of goes through stages. The tail lights don't work, but, the brake, reverse, and signals work. Yhe interior lights and side markers don't work. Sometimes the stereo goes out when I apply the brakes. Sometimes the brake lights don't work until I switch on the flashers for a second. Sometimes there is a hum, which changes in relation to the RPM audible through the speakers. My problem seems to involve incompetent stereo installation by a previous owner. But, then it could be anything. I've heard so many different ideas of what it could be that I'm just going to give up and take the steaming pile of 1971 240 zh*t to the junkyard and crush it.
JUST KIDDING!
I'm gonna take it to the shop and let them get a headache when I get the $. It is very frustrating though. I like to drive at night, too. Good luck, and post if you found out the problem. I'm sure there more than a few of us who could use the help.
Larry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good chance its the switch...It was on mine...The Contacts get @!#$ on them which increases the resistence which causes them to go dim..Pull the switch apart on the column and get a emry board on the copper prongs...This should fix it>>>MATT

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had similar phantom problems with the wiring on my 77. Reading the wiring diagram was just about impossible, so I took it down to Kinkos and had it blown up to poster size. Now that I could SEE the diagram, I was able to trace problem circuits using a colored highliter, find the connectors and then check continuity with an ohmmeter on the car. You'll probably find green crud on the connections that need to be cleaned. Check out your fuse box as well, as per other posts.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
me too

add my name to the list. I fixed most of the problems with the lights by cleaning the light fixtures/sockets. but I haven't had the time to fool with it since. I am at college and the car is at home. everything works except the left turn signal and four ways, is that due to the left turn signal not working or is that another problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.