ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 74 260z considered a rare car? I ask because I have one that is in good shape. But it had an engine fire. I am curious for feed back as to whether I should do the extra work to fix this one or try to find another z to customize. Also is the 260z tempered steel? An engine fire could have mad the frame weak.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i'm no expert, but I thought I read somewhere that the 260 was the slowest of the bunch...240, 260, 280, 280ZX, 300ZX.
and the frame isn't that **** hot to begin with, is it?
if I were you, and there were 240's around, I'd try for one of those..
but I don't think there are many 260', to answer your question....they were only made for a year and a half or so..
if im' way off course, someone tell me

matty

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that the 260z was only made for one year, 1974. That would make it pretty rare. I don't know a whole lot about them other then that. I know I have never seen one and I have seen a 1970 Fairladay with the rear view mirrors on the hood driving down the road. If I am not mistaken they had the least amount of horsepower out of the 240s and 280s because they had come up with stricter laws on that kind of thing. I read that somewhere. I imagine you could put a 240 or a 280 engine in it and have a nice collectors car.
Dodie

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>Only sold in the U.S. for one year.</b>

A friend from the U.K. once told me, if i remember correctly, that they had 240Z,260Z,and then 280ZX over there. But while we had 280Z's they still had 260Z's until the ZX came out.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: Only sold in the U.S. for one year.</b>

You are correct. U.K. 260's must have been some awesome cars. Imagine a Z with a 2600CC engine and the same weight as an early 240Z with no emission controls to slow it down.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: Only sold in the U.S. for one year.

More than 40,000 260s were sold in the U.S., so they aren't that rare. On the scale of things, they are more collectible than 280s, but not as valuable as 240s. They had a one-year-only 2,600 cc engine with the crappiest carburetion system ever put on a Z -- a failed attempt to both meet smog and add pep. Body specs are for all practical purposes the same as 240s.

Lots of people with 260s put different (later) Z engines in them and have great driving cars. At the very least, they should be retrofitted with the SU carbs from the240 years. There are several sites on various forums that explain more about how to do this.

The 260s were as good as any other 1st generation Z (their sole year of production -- 1974 -- also saw the first 2+2 model). If the rest of your body is okay, I'd get the engine bay checked by someone who knows bodywork. If he says there's no structural damage from the fire, and it's not incredibly expensive, I'd get the car back on the road.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ian, from what I know there are two kinds of 260Z. The early 260Z has smaller bumpers just like the 240Z ( although the front bumper sticks out futher than it does in the 240Z) And there is the late 260Z with that huge 280Z style bumpers. In term of value, I think the 240Z is the best of the buch. Not only that the 240Z has a better induction system, it is also smog-exempted here in California. As of my 260Z, I just put a 350 Chevy into it and forget about messing around with that caburator in the 260Z. In my opinion, I think you should have some mechanics take a look at the damage and go from there. At the end, it is all up to you and how bad you want to restore the car. Dont worry much about 240z or 260z or 280z, as long as it is a Z, it is a good car.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RE:260Z production went on...

Hi
You are probably right about that the 260Z only was for sale in the US in 1974, but the production must have went on.

In Europe the 240Z was sold on a few markets with minor sucess (My country, Sweden received a few in 1973 only)
But the 260Z was offered as late as 1980 in some countries, that means last years paralell to the 280ZX!
The 280Z was never sold here, but I have a 1978, and a know just a handful of them over in entire Europe that has went astray. (One 1975 is in the Speyern tech. museum, Germany!)

It was first the 1979 280ZX that got a good reputation and rather sucessful sales over here.

Anyone else knows more about this?

Regards Marten Carlsson
Sweden

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RE: 1980 260Z FI?

Marten, did the later 260's use fuel injection or did they stay with carbs? It's very interesting learning about the differences in manufacture of the series. Do you know for sure if the 1980 260's were made that year or if they may have been a few years old and just didn't sell well? I've seen that here before. Almost bought an 87 Scirocco from a dealer in mid 88 that was brand new but about 10 months old! Insurance cost was unreal though.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE: 1980 260Z FI?

The 260z was imported to Germany until 1978 with carbs until the zx came in 1979.

David, in Germany

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RE:eek:utside US Z cars

The 260Z was sold marketed as late as 1980 on a few markets. I know for instance Holland and france, perhaps the UK.
If someone knows more about this, I would like to know myself, since there are a lot of contradictive info. This is the carburettored 260Z I'm talking about.
I also got info from Holland that there was a 280Z 2+2 but I've never heard about it.
Australia didn't get the 280Z either, but all Z cars was badged "Fairlady" down there.
By the way "ddt" was the Z sold officially in Germany?

Regards Marten Carlsson

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DODIE IS RIGHT. THE 260 Z WAS MADE ONE YEAR ONLY IN THE U.S.A. THEY HAD THE LIABILITY OF LOWER COMPRESSION. IT WAS ALSO CHOKED BACK BY SMOG AND EMMISSION LAWS.THEY ALSO HAD HORRIBLE CARBURATION. EVEN THE FACTORY TECHNICIANS HAD A HARD TIME KEEPING THEM RUNNING RIGHT.I CHANGED THE FACTORY CARB'S WITH WEBER CARB'S.I HAVE A 74 260Z AND A 73 240Z WITH A SALVAGE TITLE. THE 240Z WILL RUN CIRCLES AROUND MY 260Z.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.