ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
running a kind of ram air into a 4 barrel carb. Is it possible to put a air flow meter, or a boost controller in the air line to the carb. And what is the difference in a air flow meter, and a boost controller.

if you can imagine this:

3 inch air ducts from the bottom of my car, through a enclosed air filter, directly to a air cleaner on a 4 barrel. The air cleaner is fully closed, with a nozel in the front for the air duct hose. (car tech air cleaner).

What do you think is the equivelant boost.(comparing to a turbo)

· Registered
3,212 Posts
I don't think so...

no equivalent boost I can see, the air isnt being compressed like a turbo would do it and theres no wastegate for a bc among other problems with that idea.

· Registered
745 Posts
Re: I don't think so...

I think you would end up with a low buck "ram air" set-up. I'm sure you would get closer to zero vacum at WOT but, no I don't think you would see any actual boost. Obviously a turbo works in a totally different manner and is capable of helping produce power from around 10" of vacum to how ever much boost your running.

Cody 82 ZXT

· Registered
69 Posts
I'm not an authority on this by any means, but I think you would need to have something more complex than just an intake pipe facing front. The bigger air intake would certainly reduce your manifold vacuum and therefore give you a little additional power, but the most would be about what you would get by taking the air cleaner out. Unfortunately, the carburetor needs to generate some vacuum to work, which means a constriction that you can't get rid of without dropping in a fuel-injected engine.

To get boost above atmospheric pressure, you would need some kind of diffuser, which causes the air to slow down from the car's airspeed (weird combination of words) to whatever speed it's going into the carb, converting the kinetic energy of the fast-moving airstream into the potential energy of pressure without losing it to turbulence and heat. (long breath) The problem is that, even if you had a perfectly efficient diffuser, you would have to be doing 480 mph to generate 5 psi of boost pressure. The idea's elegant, but it only works well if you're flying in a jet aircraft (this is how ramjet engines work.)

Carbureted engines are generally tricky to run above atmospheric pressure; for example, if the carb float is made of a few large cells instead of a solid block, you have to put the turbo after the carb to avoid crushing the float with the increased pressure.

An airflow meter, combined with sensors for air temp and barometric pressure, senses the amount of air going in, and controls the amount of fuel mixing with it. A boost controller, I think, is something like a waste gate, which would either dump compressed air from the system or route exhaust gas around a turbo to keep boost pressure from getting too high.

· Registered
241 Posts
If you're looking for a bit of an advantage, cowl induction gets you benifits befor ram air enters the picture. Look up in the archives under cowl induction, or tonyd (don't just ask him he gets asked about this on a weekly basis, it's all there several times over) Also, I'm no pro at this, but is'nt there a relative vacume under the car?? Anyways, check the archives, I think you'd be surprised how complex this subject really is, I sure was. It all has to do with areodynamics. Happy hunting.

Dylan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.