ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, second time i posted this, thought it would be easy enough to remove the ant. for my radio. Boy was i wrong. I forgot to post that i have a power ant. and there is a whole bunch of wires and junk goin on down there. Anyone has any idea what they do,,,which ones to connect where. and HOW THE **** I GET THIS OLD BROKEN ANTENNA OUTTA HERE! please please post....if you have pictures you are my new savior.

Thanks,
Matt

P.S. in case my name didnt give it away i have a 1982 280zxt, thanks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
OK for the secont time this week...

Remove your antenna plug and get a 20 foot wire and connect it to a 12 volt source like to your battery or something, if you use external power you will need to connect a groung to the antenna mounting bracket.At the end of the plug connecting to the antenna you will have 4 wires, you may need to trim back some of the protective tubing to identify the wire colors.
With the hot 12 tap the blue/red and it should go full up.
Now tap the yellow white and it should go down.
If you tap the Blue/White it will go up half way.
The black wire is ground and is connected to the frame so don’t worry about this when testing. If these functions do not go like I said your problem is in the antenna control module and that’s another never-ending story.
This antenna is past of a system connecting to an antenna module.
So calm down and test it.
If it doesn't work get a real Z antenna not some Radio Sh|t look alike.
This is not a simple yellow wire antenna, you need to go Z.
If you can't find one as me pretty please and I'll get one to you.

Madeline the Z NUT
Hollywood, 33021

·
Registered
571 Posts
CORRECTION

This:
If these functions do go like I said your problem is in the antenna control module and that’s another never-ending story.

NOT:
If these functions do not go like I said your problem is in the antenna control module and that’s another never-ending story.

If you pulled the antenna out you will need to connect a ground to any support portion of the antenna.

Whatever you do don’t even think of replacing it with one of those fugly rubber duck antennas. Get a Z antenna or people will point and giggle. If I saw a non standard Z antenna in some parking lot , I would snap it off and beat the owner with it.

MAD…
Hollywood

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you scare me lol. Well all it is, the motor works fine it all gets goin and such if i touch the wires....but the antenna it-self is busted.....so i can get like 1 station.......rap/hip hop....and as we all know....alternative/classic rock goes best with our cars. SO I NEED A NEW ANTENNA!

can i just take out the antenna or do i gotta get a whole new motor and everything? thanks

Matt

·
Registered
571 Posts
I just go to the junkyard and find a nice clean one.
Don’t discard the drain tube, or replace it if it’s rotted.
Look for a new Z antenna I have a whole bunch of them.
I collect spare parts not for sale but from pure obsessive-compulsive disorder for parts.
Just for fear that something goes wrong I have a spare.
It cost about 5 bucks to 2 day it and I have about 15 in each antenna.
You can try e-bay sometimes they are like 5 bucks.

Again I urge everyone to at least provide your city.
You may be 2 blocks away and someone that might have the part you need.

Come on people, this is easy.

Madeline and Kristine
Hollywood, FL

·
Registered
557 Posts
You would LOVE whoever was the previous owner of my first Z. The stock antenna had seized about half way up. So what did they do? Drilled a hole in the middle of the t-tops and stuck an antenna there.

I cried for her when I bought her. Ripped the mother off, unseized the stock antenna, tried to fix her... she's lying in bits in my car-bits-drawers at the moment. I did try a "fully auto" antenna from one of the car places... Hooked it up... smoked it.

My second Z (a 79, moving down from a 81) also had non-stock antenna. It's a manual telescoping fold down antenna. Shocking. Doesn't even do its job.

But when your local Nissan dealer says they can't get replacements (here in Australia) and a USA Nissan Dealer wanted $199 US... and even on ebay they sell for $100 US... I just keep staring at the seized antenna and hoping one day it will work again... (no movement when applying power, unable to access wiring due to rusted bolts)

Cheers
Travis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.